General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New turbo very nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default New turbo very nice

I have a 98 a4 quattro 1.8 t, the turbo was blown when I bought it. The other owner told me that when it blew it really blew so i was amazed when he showed me the turbo taken apart. The cold side turbine was in pieces and the shaft was broken as well, the main concern i had of course was if the peices went into the engine. Well they didn't and long story short the engine was ok so i purchased the car (i'm a mechanic did a thorough inspection, compression, leakdown, etc). Now you all know when a turbo shaft breaks itwill allow coolant and oil into the exaust and the previous owner told me he drove it for 10 mins after it blew drove hom refilled with oil and then ran it for another 15. So here i am after cleaning out the entire turbo system for hours and hours and installing the new turbo, my question is how long do you think it will take to burn the old oil and collant out of the exhuast. I was contenplating removing the exaust thinkin that it would probably take weeks to burn out since there could be up to 2 quarts of oil in the mufler.
Oh and the reason the turbo blew was because the previous owner changed the dv and in the process droped a hose clamp into the turbo intake hose and didn't know it. Lucky (for me) the intercooler caught all the pieces and kept them from entering the engine.