General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odd noise from Passenger side of motor....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Odd noise from Passenger side of motor....

ok, so two weeks ago after getting home from work, i noticed a wine/light grinding noise form the belt side of the motor, i promptly scowered this forum for an explination, after tons of reading and searching, i decided to start with the auto tensioner, nope , so then i figure the worst... Timing Belt job, so i call a local shop who owns and works on porsche race cars, and have him do the job. i get it back thursday last week and slowly the noise has come back, started out as during warm up, and then not after it was warm, now before and after a drive. all parts were replaced and now i have no clue what it is, its annoying and to be frank embarrassing, this thing used to purr like a horny cat. PLEASE HELP. thanks '02 TT 1.8 225 Q 51k on her

Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Odd noise from Passenger side of motor....

nobody has ever had a sound like this? heard anything like this, i need all possible ideas, next idea i have is to remove accessory belt and see what i hear, starting to thing the ac compressor or the alternater are going bad....... rather not but if thats what it takes, thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Did you find out what the noise is yet I'm pretty sure it's your WATER PUMP making that noise.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Typically, the timing belt replacement should include: timing belt, belt tensioner and water pump. You do the water pump because its life expentancy is pretty much gone by the time the timing belt is replaced. You don't want to pull all that stuff apart later to replace the pump.

I'm not sure about the 1.8 T but the 2.8 has a secondary air pump located low on the passenger side, next to the horns. This can make a growling and then whining sound when it goes bad. Lay on you back and listen under the car.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

no i have not found the culprit yet, i had a FULL timing job done, including: timing belt, accessory drive belt, timing belt tensioner roller, water pump w/metal impeller, timing tensioner with small roller(hudraulic) front crankshaft/oil pump seal, camshaft seal. so as you can see i i replaced everything at once, and the noise persists. as for the secondary air pump... will it run continuosly? make that sound off and on depending on heat? and will it change with RPM's? again car runs great, just sounds like crap most of the time at idle. thanks for the reply

Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

The secondary air pump, I believe, runs as the car warms up. The pump is part of the emission controls, providing more combustion air until all components are warm. This is how I understand it.

Glad the water pump, et. al. was replaced!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

a guy i talked to explained the air pump to me, and then i asked about the change with RPM's, and he said in theory, it might, even though its an electric pump....its feeding off the exhaust somehow and may change with the rpm because of the extra exhaust going through the system, but i'm still not ready to leave it at that. yesterday morning and afternoon, it did not make the noise, this morning, nothing, get home today i get the noise.....driving me nuts. and aren;t air pumps like 900$ holy @&$! thats expensive.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

when its making the noise, take a long prybar/screwdriver or something to that effect and put your ear on the handle and put the bit end of it on anything you think may be making noise. you should be able to hear through the prybar what is making noise when you find it...

Old 05-04-2008, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

yeah i just boughta stethascope saturday morning, but was out of town all weekend, and didn't have time to get into it yet again, so hopefully it will hold out another week, maybe i'll have a short day at work this week to take things apart....stupid engine covers....but i also have a stainless bolt kit for the covers i want to install so i'll do it all at the same time. on a side note, i met a former service manager from audi and he said def. a crapping out pully bearing, just a matter of finding it....also some prices for parts at a local parts shop... Power Steering pump W/O resivior $130, Alternator $330, and a new compressor with clutch $1100 W/core, yikes! i'm hoping for the PS pump!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

just wanted this back at the top incase somebody new should read it.

Quick Reply: Odd noise from Passenger side of motor....