General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil leaking, water and smoke coming outta exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
Default oil leaking, water and smoke coming outta exhaust

I was hoping someone on here could help me.... i dont know too much about audis i was an import guy B4.... so please be patient... My wifes 00 A6 2.7T is smoking like hell. the otha day was like 8 degrees and when she started it there was alot of smoke. when she tried to drive it was still coming out like fog covering the street. she went bak home and waited half an hour and tried to start it again it started making a weird noise... i put power steering fluid in it cuz it was low for some reason and the noise stopped but still smoking. a friend put it on a lift and said it looks like it leaking oil from the turbos.... we put a quart of oil in it and it still smoke but not as bad as B4. i read on hea that if the turbos are going it will spew oil outta the exhaust with the smoke. No oil but it seems like water is pouring outta the exhaust with the smoke when we push the gas pedal down. I know it need to have the timing belt serviced cuz its over 100K but i think i should fix this problem first. i tried to look around the top of the engine bay but dont really know wat im looking for not much room to see down there.... so any info or tips would be grateful cuz im trying to get as much info as i can B4 i am forced to go to the dealer cuz i dont wanna get raped by them. anotha guy said if i bring it by his place tomm. (Monday) he will put it on the lift to try n see where it is leaking but it wasnt smoking that bad when he seen it... PLEASE HELP. THANX

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil leaking, water and smoke coming outta exhaust

if oil is leaking inside the turbo/turbos... it will smoke out the tailpipe...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

i juss came back from having the car looked at and anotha guy said he think it could be leaking from one of the oil lines into the intercooler. he said it seemd to be leaking from the intercooler hose and it prolly built up in the intercooleruntil it was finally released into the exhaust because after puttin more oil in i drove it today and it didnt seem to be smoking.....thefirst day we noticed the problem it was clouding the whole street .this guy said he cantstart taking anything apart and get a better look at it til wednesday... I hope it not the tubos leaking or blown. the car seems to havelost a lil power... doesnt wanna go sum,times when the gas is pressed...then again im scared to really get on it cuz we need the timing belt replacerd.... WISH ME LUCK

Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

How many miles does the car have on it? Original turbos?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

not sure if the turbos ever been worked on i bought the car with 88,000 and now it got 107,000... definitely overdue for the timing...not sure bout turbos

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

i seen a drop of oil come outta the exhaust too

Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Site Moderator

HOLY crap your skating on thin ice over 100k and not having the timing belt done!
Get that done NOW! The oil leak is probably the valve covers, and if your coolant is probably leaking from the water pump and aux. water pump i would imagine at that mileage.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

yeah gonna have the timing belt n shiet done when i get this leak fixed... but how can the valve cover be leaking n causing the smoke to come out the exhaust... if the valve cover was leaking on the exhaust or engine wouldnt that juss smoke from the hood or under the car...not outta the exhaust

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Site Moderator

It depends on what color the smoke is coming out of the exhaust.
Blue= Oil
Black= rich condition
White= Coolant

If its just black then your running rich as s*** and you probably have a bad CTS (coolant temp sensor) or the engine is running really cold because the thermostat is stuck closed.
If the color is blue then its burning oil, change the PCV componets (black valve on the turbo Y pipe) and assostiated hoses.
Another cause for coolant/oil burning out the exhaust is the turbos are shot.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

thats what i wasnt hoping is that the turbos are shot... if they are leaking oil from the seal can it still be rebuilt... or will it be damaged from the leakage... but it was smoking one day real bad but i put more oil in it n now it not really smoking...

Quick Reply: oil leaking, water and smoke coming outta exhaust