General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil "Min" light comes on, topped up, why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil "Min" light comes on, topped up, why?

Hi, all.

I last posted here about 4 YA, when I was asking about my '97 A6. Few months ago, bought an '03 A6 Q, 3.0 sedan. Love it. Al my cars have been Audis since '86.

Problem is the oil "Min" light. I assume it lights when oil gets a quart or 2 low. 6.8 cap, that would not be enough to lose suction, I don't think.

Story: Bought the car with, I was told, fresh oil change. About 3 wks. later, with the G,kids, light came on. Off to NAPA 1/4 mile behind me, bought a quart, poured. OK. Couple weeks later, again. Now, it CAN'T be burning THAT much oil, or I couldn't see cars in my rear view.

Checked level, looked good, but dipstick is confusing. Where the hell is full and low. Anyhow,Saturday, 3 days ago, had an oil and filter change. Asked them to call me when done to show me what full is supposed to be. Big bead is covered. Book does not look the same as my dipstick. Anyhow. Sunday, less than 50 mi., light comes on again.

Park on my kids concrete d'way, never a drop. My mech laid under it, said it was the cleanest Audi I ever had. Smelled the exhaust, said he could breathe that, it was so clean.

Sensor problem that HOPEFULLY is outside the engine. I am more or less ignoring the issue, because I can't just add oil. That can contaminate the convertors. Hell, they probably ARE.

Any help?

George