General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil pressure light

Hi I'm wondering if someone can help me with my 2001 1.9 tdi pd 100hp.
The problem I have is when the car is cold after being stood a while the oil pressure light comes on and bleeps.
it started of just being a few seconds an no it can be a good 5 minutes.
The oil was due a change so I gave it a service to no change.
I get no related codes on vcds only code I get it coolant temp sender short to ground intermittent,
So I don't think these will be related.
When the light appears there seems to be a good oil circulation and no funny noises so I'm hoping it's just a sensor and not the pump.
Does anybody have any suggestions and does anybody know where the pressure switch is and how to change the oil pump?
Any help will be greatly apprieciated
cheers dan

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

I am not familiar with your model. I have a 2001 a4 1.8 turbo. I was having some concerns. I took out the oil pressure sensor which is attached to the flange that the oil filter screws into. I bought a gauge and a small hose for under $20, and the fittings were the right pitch etc to screw it together. I was able to test the pressure and even ran it into the cabin so I can watch it while I drive. this is a good way to find out your pressure at idle and high revs when hot and cold. On the A4, they are prone to sludge, and it is a good idea to pull the pan, replace the pump with a newer model, clean the screen on the pump at least, and they have a shorter pick up tube or some such that helps a lot. And if you find a lot of sludge it should be cleaned out in the various passages. I only helped on this job, did not do it myself.

If your car is the same, and the pump has not been changed, i think you should do it no matter what. As it was considered faulty I think. But if you check the pressure and it is okay, then that will tell you it is the sensor or the wiring. If it is the pressure sensor, they are quite cheap to replace. But if you spend 10 bucks on the sensor, you will still not know your pressure, so 20 on a pressure tester you can use forever is better in my opinion.

On the A4, you have to pull off the shrouding underneath, then pull the pan to get to the pump. It is possible pulling the bumper helps. Not sure. We lowered a sway bar i think and pulled the pan which was tough to get to, then the pump was easy. Swivel sockets and such were quite handy. it is tight and tough to get to. We used a hoist. I would not want to do it crawling underneath. It is not an easy job, but doable. Your car might be different. But even if hard, due to risk of sludge, it is an important thing to do due to the faulty pump design.

Last edited by Bluea41.8; 06-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

Cheers for the help, after the service I changed the temp sensor then took the car on a good run to work and back about 100 miles and this as solved it not had a light for a few days now. I have a pressure switch ready incase it starts again then sump off would be the next step. But for now fingers crossed.
And thanks for your guidance
Cheers Dan