General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Passenger window motor relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Passenger window motor relay

Well, since I'm new here, I thought I'd do my "new to the forum" weekend trolling. I found a lot of interesting things and realize how not so different a Audi 1.8t to DSM 2.0t, there's a few things, but a turbo motor is a turbo motor after all.
Anyway, aside from that...
Today my brother (the owner of an 98 A4 V6 quattro) comes to me with a window problem (ok, get some popcorn). His passenger window was stuck in the down position. The driver's switch and passenger switch both allow the window to roll down, but since it's already down, all you hear is the motor click (or is that a relay?). Pressing up on either button, the motor is quiet. So we did the normal fuse check and all are good. I even made sure fuse 14 wasn't blown since another post suggested that to commonly pop.
I eventually took the passenger door panel off and see the motor. I did the up/down button check on both sides again and I still hear the click and motor whir on the down press but not on the up press. I'm stuck at this point because I'm debating whether or not to remove the panels under the dash to find the correct relay...I don't open it though. I do however, remove the three bolts holding the motor onto the door. I unplug the connector and look for the "window up" signal...found it, so that eliminates everything outside of the door up to that connector..bad motor then? Nope. So I plug the connector back onto the black box that is connected to the motor and press the window button down and the motor spins...good news. Press the button down and nothing. Hmmm, stumped. Well, at this point, I'm thinking that the black box attached to the motor which has the connector plugged into it is the motor relay. So, I hit it with my trusty rubber mallet and tried to roll the window up again....what do you know, it worked.
What is that black box, is it the window relay for that motor? My guess is that there was a contact in there that got stuck because, the motor was getting the signal to go up but it wasn't doing anything until I hammered it.

There weren't anything that was like the issue I came upon today in my search, so I had to just go and do it and I thought to share my experience with it. Plus there were a several that just stopped without resolve.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Passenger window motor relay

Its actually the window motor control module. It also has the duty of relay control. The relay is internal to the module. Sounds like you have a bad motor/module assembly. As far as i know the two are only available as one part.