General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Please help!

***sorry for asking so many questions at once but im rarely at the computer so i kind of wanted to bang them all out at once... I have a 1990 audi 90 quattro 20V sedan. Here are my issues:

1. Sunroof goes back and forth still but won't shut all the way. it stops about an inch short. This just started out of no where. it was working fine and then i just went to close it and it just wouldn't close all the way.

2. I need the drivers side tail-light, the corner part. not the part that is part of the trunk. and i can't find one for less than some 80 odd dollars or so. not tryin to spend that much!

3. I snapped the drivers side inner door handle off when i tried getting out of the car while the doors were still in the process of unlocking.

4. while driving the car hard i'll be in second gear lets say, and it will pull pretty well than get week in the 4500 to 5000 rpm range. then usually, but not always will surge forward almost as if it was turbo'd. and i had some serious turbo lag and then it finally spools up. This also happens in other gears as well but not so much in first. The weird thing about it is that this is most affluent or noticeable when it is at normal operating temperature as opposed to when i just start the car where it's acceleration will be pretty consistent throughout the rpm range.

5. I'm missing the passenger's side hood pin so the hood won't close securely. it stays shut but kind of unnervingly shutters at higher speeds. and it's proved rather difficult locating the piece.

6. Does anyone have a amp hooked up in their car for a system. because i am having the damndest time trying to find a whole in the fire wall to feed the power cable through from the battery to the trunk.

7. the gauges in the center console have a tendancy to go out. the light i mean that lights them up for night.

8. the head lights are hella! weak. i have to drive around with my highbeams just to see. and even then they're about a tenth of what normal low beams would be for safe driving at night. i tried changing the bulbs to those h4 hi-def lookalikes but all they did really was change the color of the light. they didn't get any brighter. and there doesn't appear to be any build up of grime or dirt or anything so what's the deal?

9. There's not one damn cup holder or even a center console armrest. Shouldn't there be???

There's some other things about the car that are wierd or f'd up but these are the really pressing issues that i would like to know more about what to do. so if anyone has any ideas or thoughts about any or all of the above i'd appreciate the input. thanks, kyle.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:30 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Please help!

1. try checking the trak for ****
2. find a junk yard
3. Thats not even a question but again find a junk yard it will be your best bet
4. Are you sure its not turbo charged ?? May have some vac leaks
5. Again this is not a question, but you can find those pieces in a junk yard
6. Push it through where all the ecu wires go in on the driver side
7. Pull out gauges and check for a shorted wire probably whats causing it
8. Go the the auto store and purchase some OffRoad only lights with unshielded beams that fit in place of stock lights
9. Nope most people get these lil colapsable oned that stick on to the door, there great, just search for universaly cup holders

Hope this helps out a bit

Old 04-12-2006, 08:31 AM
5th Gear

and its not that people ignore your posts its that not many people have the older audis here and dont know what to tell you

Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Administrator

^^^Plus, not everybody cruises ALL the various threads ALL of the time. Have a little patience. You said yur the Dad, well, DAD, have a little patience, OK? Someone went all "Mom&Daddy on you cause you were acting like someones teen-aged brat, expecting INSTANT gratification. Plus, you started in teh wrong place with your question. This is better, but, still, not all the genuine tech hit here every hour of every day. Sheeesh!

1. What BadLuck said... Check teh track for debris
2. If MY tail light ONLY cost $80.00 I'd get TWO. I'm looking at $300.00 for teh junkyard price
3. Junkyard
4. Have a mechanic check your MAF sensor. I've seen many threads about similiar symptoms, most revolve around teh MAF
5. Stop speeding
6. Dunno
7. you've obviously got a short somewhere, DUH!
8. Are you sure about the grime? If so, maybe your relay is going bad? Dunno
9. Buy a aftermarket one. Hangs on teh window, spills yur drink all over the glass during hard turns...
10. Next time, get a Honda

Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

I'm the dad and he went 'mommy&daddy' on me cuz my car is shiny..........

Bump for ya

Old 04-13-2006, 07:12 AM
4th Gear

I still don't get what the **** got him so wound up. Thats a bunch of **** to have wrong with a car and just want to go about fixin. I mean, (and I don't have to tell YOU this) most of that stuff, I would have to actualy dick around with to figur out.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Beer Mod

I'm the dad and he went 'mommy&daddy' on me cuz my car is shiny..........

Bump for ya
Wow! At your age I'd think yu'd be able to buy your OWN cars!!! But, it IS a shiney A4, so obviously yer Mommy&Daddy have taste... You don't happen to want a step-brutha, doya? Will my new Mommy&Daddy by ME a shiny A8? (I'm partial to teh bigger cars, BTW)

Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default well now i know everything

Not. thanks to those who gave genuine info. but still you all are telling me things that anybody with even a single marble rolling around in their head would no. and i'm the guy with the marble as far as audi goes. what i'm looking for is answers from people that have either the same or similar car to mine. who have experienced similar issues and know specific information about, ya know. any way i do appreciate any help. thanks people.

P.S. it's all moot now any way. i crashed it last night. see post: "I crashed my car last night. It must be Karma." in general tech thread. peace.