General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please help low boost psi

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM
1st Gear
Question please help low boost psi

Hey I'm in need of help I would greatly appreciate any advice I have a 1997 Audi a4 1.8t aeb engine code I bought this car about a month ago and its always and still seems to run and drive great there is no engine noises it sounds good but it doesn't have a lot of power but driving it I would of never of known there is a low boost psi issue I only found it because I just installed a boost gauge I'm only getting about 3 psi of boost so I made my own boost leak tester and tested it I found a hole in the intercooler I fixed it still the same problem then a guy told me it could be the wastegate actuator he told me to pull on the rod if I can move it by hand its bad well I can't move it by hand so I'm guessing its fine and I've read when they go bad there is normally a rattling noise on deceleration which I don't have so then I pulled the diverter valve off when I push up with the socket then when its all the way up I put my finger on it it moves very very very little down then when I take my finger off the nipple it closes if I have my finger on the nipple to start with then try to move the piece inside up it doesnt stay up so I'm not too sure how the test works but I think its good as well I did notice when I took off the diverter valve the air intake pipe just came right off the turbo the clamp was so loose I put my finger in the turbo and it spins nicely and free and there's is very little play in it now I don't know what to do sorry how long this was just wanted all my info in here any help I would really appreciate thanks guys

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Well turbo is bad bought a used k04 and gasket kit all in for 280 bucks I worried for nothing I thought I'd pay a lot more than that just gotta know where to look I guess well thanks for all the help I got on this one lol