General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Loss

Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Loss

My car has slowly been losing power the last few months. I took a trip to visit the parents around Christmas and the car drove great. The elevation change is from 2000 to about 8000. My car ran the hills with no problems. Never had to shift out of 5th gear and it would continue to accelerate.

Made the trip again this weekend. This time the trip was a little different. I had to shift into 4th a few times. It was a rather cool weekend so the weather wasn't an issue. One hill in particular I can remember accelerating up in 5th gear in December and this time I left it in 5th to see what would happen and it lost speed the entire way up.

After I arrived into town and hit the stoplights it almost seemed like the car was choking.

I had similar problems a month ago during a long trip. I had minimal passing power. I had problems passing a guy in an Xterra that was being an asswipe and kept speeding up and slowing down.

When I go hop in my car in about 20 minutes though I'm sure it'll drive fine. Seems to be affected more on long road trips.

Any feedback is appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Power Loss

Do you have a check engine light on, if so go to Autozone and they'll run your codes for free. Post them, and we'll help you out.

Otherwise possible problems:
02 Sensors
Failing MAF
Need an oil change

I just got over the same problem. I bought some MAF cleaner, used it and my car gained like 20-30hp instantly, it was unbelievable. Then I just Seafoamed my oil crankcase, my manifold, and my gas tank and the car is running smoother than when I purchased it six months ago. Your MAF may be failing, so try cleaning it first, and if it doesn't help then you'll need to replace it. When it goes totally bad it will cause a fault code though.

What are the specs on your car? A4/A6, 1.8T/V6??? Year???

LampyB.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: LampyB

Do you have a check engine light on, if so go to Autozone and they'll run your codes for free. Post them, and we'll help you out.

Otherwise possible problems:
02 Sensors
Failing MAF
Need an oil change

I just got over the same problem. I bought some MAF cleaner, used it and my car gained like 20-30hp instantly, it was unbelievable. Then I just Seafoamed my oil crankcase, my manifold, and my gas tank and the car is running smoother than when I purchased it six months ago. Your MAF may be failing, so try cleaning it first, and if it doesn't help then you'll need to replace it. When it goes totally bad it will cause a fault code though.

What are the specs on your car? A4/A6, 1.8T/V6??? Year???

LampyB.
I have an 00 TT Quattro. Just got an oil change 2000 miles ago so no problems there. Not throwing any codes. The "add wiper fluid" light came on but I don't think that's going to do much. Hehe.

I'll try some MAF cleaner and get back to you.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

So I went to Autozone and asked where MAF cleaner was and I got the deer in the headlights look. Is it called anything else?
[align=left] [/align]