General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PowerLocks

Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
1st Gear
Default PowerLocks

<-----Noob
I found this forum when searching about a problem I have. Im glad to have found it, seems like a great forum.
I own a Black 97 A4 quattro 2.8

I was driving down the highway and when I hit my blinker I heard a sound from behind the center of my dash that sounded liked wires shorting out. I didnt realize until a few days later that my doorlocks no longer work with my key or with my alarm. My alarm still works but the door wont lock, as well as the trunk. I imagine that these issues are related and I am not sure of what the problem may be. I can hear the motor for the powerlocks running from the rear passenger side of the car when I try to lock/unlock the doors, so its obviously not the fuse. Has anyone had this problem?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: PowerLocks

you may have just run across a coinsidental vacume leak at the same time this other thing happend. does the blinker still work and as for the door locks, they can VAG-com it an find if the system is working properly and welcome to the forume.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

yeah my blinkers still work. its just the locks that are messed up. I havent seen any problems due to the noise from the blinker situation.
I would definitly like to get to the bottom of this problem without going to a mechanic. I enjoy working on the car myself and I am always wanting to learn more. I guess it just goes against my morals to take it to the dealer.
Thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 AM
4th Gear

I feel you there. If you can locate someone with a VAG or possibly if you really want to have a handle on your ride get one yourself, than you should be able to find if it is indeed a leak or another problem. Also Give this a few days to sit and collect somemore resposes.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll see some more responses.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

OK now the car is really f*cked. I go to turn the car off today and when i turn the key to the OFF position, it kicks forward. So i have to turn the igition and slide the key out, then it jumps forwards and i have to jimmie the key around till i can get the ignition back far enough to slide the key in to turn it back on. The alarm doesnt even work either. So when i get the key out of the ignition i guess the car doesnt realize its off (so the radio doesnt turn off and i get a beeping sound like the lights are on) so all i can do is manually turn off the radio and lock the doors. And then to boot the headlights wont turn on. All this happened in the order I wrote it, over like a 15min span. WTF is wrong?

Oh and when I got out of the car with it running it sounded like crap, the engine was making a rattling sound, the stearing seemed to be tight too.

The car was riding AWESOME before all this happened a day ago. Something had to go wrong which resulted in a domino effect. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.[:@]

Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 AM
1st Gear

i dont see a problem , you admit to owning an audi.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

I had the ignition switch replaced and the ignition and alarm both work!