General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default quattro

i dont know if this is the right section, but .... what exactly is the quattro system, and how does it work, so come one give me some leads to where i can find this out, and if you know feel free to tell me, thanks!

Old 01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: quattro

The quattro system is awd. It means that all 4 wheels are turning all the time. I believe it is 40% in the front and 60% in the rear as far as power to the ground goes.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 AM
1st Gear

i understand that it is awd, but how does it separate itself from say the subaru awd, or the awd that is found on say a honda crv?

Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Quattro is a permanent all wheel drive system used on Audi brand automobiles. Quattro was first introduced in 1980 on the Audi Quattro and has since been deployed to most of the models that Audi sells.

In the original Quattro system, where the engine and transmission are situated in a longitudinal position, power is sent from the transmission to a mechanical center differential which splits it between the front and rear axles. After 1987, the inclusion of a Torsen (torque-sensing) center differential, instead of a manually-locking one, allowed engine power to be redirected to individual axles as driving conditions warranted. Under ideal conditions power is split 50/50 front to rear. The 50/50 split helps prevent wheel slip from starting, which is better than systems that can only react after wheel slip starts. In extreme cases, a maximum of 66-80% of the engine's power can be directed to a single axle. The power split between left and right wheels has progressed through open, lockable and eventually limited slip differentials with electronic control.

In some recent Audi models using a transverse engine and transmission positioning, power is sent primarily to the front axle and the vehicle does not use a permanent all wheel drive system. An electrohydraulic center Haldex limited slip coupler, however, may divert up to 100% of the power to the rear axle as conditions warrant. The power split between left and right wheels is achieved through limited slip differentials with electronic control. This system is also available in most Volkswagen vehicles under the name 4motion, excluding the B5 Passat which uses the above Torsen-based system.

Quattro is a registered trademark of Audi AG.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro"

Old 01-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Since the 80's quattro has stood for the revolutionary AWD system that Audi uses in their cars, there are two different types of Quattro (Not Quartro) the Haldex (on newer models) and the best which is Torsen.. If you have any questions just ask and I can explain

Quattro Briefly Explained

Torsen's Website

Haldex's Website

and if that isnt enough this is from Audiusa.com Click here for Link

In 1980, Audi introduced the world to something new. Full-time all-wheel drive to volume-produced passenger cars. We called it quattro. We still do. Now in its fourth generation, Audi's quattro® permanent all-wheel drive directs power where and when it's needed.

Under ideal conditions power is split 50/50 front to rear. But in extreme cases up to 67% of the engine's power can be directed to a single wheel. The benefits to the driver are safety, performance, power, and control in copious amounts.

While no drivetrain can repeal the laws of physics, quattro affords drivers the chance to act, not merely react. In fact, it's that added measure of confidence that Audi drivers cite when asked why they chose our brand of all-wheel drive. In the real world and on real roads all over the planet, there's quattro. And not quite.