General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Race Sponsors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Race Sponsors?

Ok. I am hoping maybe someone out there might know some special little secret they could let me in on. I've got a 1991 Coupe Quattro 20v. I am trying to find a way to get into the racing scene. I think alot of people fail to realize the full potential that the audi CQ has. The 5 cylinder alone is a dormant beast just waiting to be let free. The way i see it, the audi is the perfect all around competition car... Rally, Drag and Circuit. I would like to turn my CQ into that car, but i don't have the funds to do so. Is there any way to get sponsors or something to get the parts i need? I am mechanically inclined, working on cars and racing (both on and off the track) has always been a passion of mine. I just seperated from the military and would like to make my need for speed a reality. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

P.S. Maybe i sound like an idiot, but you can't blame a guy for trying...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

I think getting sponsors is pretty tough, especially without having proven yourself a good driver already. A lot of people want sponsorship. Probably the best way is to start auto-crossing and do well, then try to get some local businesses (maybe auto shops?) to sponsor you for winning in class or something like that. But don't expect a lot of money. Most people race for the joy of racing, not for the money.

Last edited by Belgarion; 06-08-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

You are not going to find any shops that will be willing to sponsor someone just to build a hobby car. Shops tend to sponsor cars that are already being used for full out racing in events where their shop name can be seen by other racers and the buyers. If you want to build a hobby car its going to come out of your own pocket just like nearly everyone else. Shop sponsors is a form of advertising and there isnt much advertising in a guy that is doing it for the need of speed. Plus with this market shops are pulling back on their advertising which is why even the NHRA teams are losing sponsors, pro drivers lost their rides and the NHRA gets huge exposure on TV.

Basically if you want sponsors you have to prove yourself and what you can do with your car on the track first.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Not a hobby car

I don't intend on this being just a hobby. I want to make a career out of racing. I've been looking into racing schools such as the Rally school in florida. And i know i need to make a name for myself first, but i need a decent car to do so with and i can't find anywhere i can get track time. The CQ i have is a good car, but it's completely stock yet and needs a new steering rack, a clutch and an engine rebuild. There is alot of play in the front tires and it leaks PS fluid, and the car has 260000 miles on it.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
4th Gear

Well if your looking for discounted prices I might be able to help out. Even with sponsors you arent going to end up getting all that deep of a discount from shops, most will just give you a small discount and maybe some free labor at the most. Feel free to email me with some things you might be looking for and I will try to get you some prices. I am a dealer for 034 which sells products for those earlier cars.

BTW most people that start getting into the road racing are paying out of their own pockets.