General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear
Question Radio Code

Is there a way to get my radio code while the radio is still functional?
I bought my 2000 A6 2.7t used and the PO was not the original owner nor did she have the code.
I would like to get this resolved before either my battery dies or I am forced to disconnect it for some maintenance.
Is this something I can get with my vag-com?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.html:
4.12 Can I use VAG-COM to retrieve my Radio Code to get it out of "SAFE" mode?

No, You'll need to get the radio code from your dealer (it should also be on a card that came with your car). Most likely, the dealer will need to connect their scan tool to your vehicle. Their tool then relays information from the vehicle to the headquarters to retrieve the radio code. VAG-COM cannot retrieve the radio code for you. In many cases, the radio will be in SAFE mode after disconnecting the battery, but it will automatically exit that mode after a period of time, as long as it is still installed in the same vehicle.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

Darn! I was hoping to be able to retrieve the code BEFORE the radio goes into Safe Mode...

Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Audi told me you need to use the special tool to slide out the stereo unit and get the serial number from it. They can type in that along with your VIN into their system to look up the code. I changed my battery without doing this. Take one of those portable jump-start units and connect it to the battery cables. Tape the positive one with electrical tape so it won't slip off. Connect the negative where the cable attached to the chasis (tape shouldn't be necessary, but you can to be safe). Then switch out the battery. As long as at least 9v current stay on during this, you won't lock up the stereo. My system afterwards sounded very bass heavy. Not sure if it's related to the battery switchout or if it's a separate problem.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 PM

its mostly the older cars now the require radio codes... mainly A4's. Newer models automically read the serial number off of the radio every time the key is cycled and knows if its the right radio.

if you can get your radio serial number... i can get your radio code for you.