General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rattle Noise In The Front

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Rattle Noise In The Front

So recently I bought an 2000 Audi A4 1.8t with 141,000 miles all belts were changed at 130,000 miles. But I did notice the when the car starts up the is a slight rattling noise coming from the front of the car seems to be from the bottom passenger side. The car makes this noise whenever it's running and I really want to get it fixed but I don't know what the problem is Also while I was driving around it seemed difficult to put the car into first, but then again this is my first 5spd car so it may be just me. BUT if anyone can point into the right direction to discover the source of this rattle it would greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like your AC tensioner pulley. A quick way to see if it stops is squirt a little water on the belt. If it stops it was the belt. If not it's the pulley.

We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Jason

Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Oh okay thanks. It there a DIY on how to replace this pulley?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fly_R_Die
Oh okay thanks. It there a DIY on how to replace this pulley?
Not that I have seen. It's pretty simple. It's two bolts. They are allen head bolts. If you have a long allen wrench ( I forget what size at the moment) it will be a life saver. Some people might even take the front end off to get at it if you're not too crafty with a wrench.

I've done it before without removing the front, it just takes a little extra patience and effort.

I hope this helps!

Jason

Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

Does the noise change with engine load? As you rev the engine out of gear does the noise change, stay the same, go away? What about in gear and normal driving? Cold and hot starts?

Does the shifting issue change? Is it always hard to get into first? If you go through the gears and back down, is it still hard?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for posting this, now i know where the noise is coming from. I have the same problem. Seems like I'll be ordering this too as well pretty soon.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

O8RS4: Well I here the noise on both cold and warm starts. The noise does seem to only happen in neutral and 1st gear but it doesn't change with rpm's.
Also sometimes it is a little hard downshifting into first.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Same thing here might

I am going to get a new pully system soon lol just got to get the other stuff too like the CV Axles

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Sounds like your AC tensioner pulley. A quick way to see if it stops is squirt a little water on the belt. If it stops it was the belt. If not it's the pulley.

We have them available below.

Jason

Just in case anyone is still interested in this thread. I got the new AC tensioner put on and the rattle noise disappeared. Just want to say thanks to ECS Tuning for the quality parts

Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Fly_R_Die
Just in case anyone is still interested in this thread. I got the new AC tensioner put on and the rattle noise disappeared. Just want to say thanks to ECS Tuning for the quality parts
Nice Congrats I will be doing the same...soon lol

Quick Reply: Rattle Noise In The Front