General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear diff issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear diff issue

Ok, I am having an issue with the rear diff/drivetrain.

When I take off in first gear i get a sound from the rear diff that sounds almost like a locker ratcheting. It happens a lot more when turning a corner but it also happens sometimes going straight. It happens only in first gear I am guessing because of the force on the drivetrain. It doesn't happen in second gear! I can feel it in the car and also hear it. It sounds like you can hear every tooth on the gears or like the sound that a locker makes.

I just bought the car. Is there any type of additive that is needed for the rear diff? I am going to put some Amsoil in it this week and see if that helps it out. I was also told to check bushings and mounts which I did and turned up nothing.

Any help would be great.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Well, I changed the oil in the diff. The oil that I took out had a bit of that glorious burnt gear oil smell. It didn't seem to bad tho. I replaced it with some Royal Purple 75-90. Didn't seem to help. I am still getting the noise. I talked to the previous owner and he said that the oil was changed not too long ago. Then I thought that if the oil was just done recently, then the smell I got was a little excessive of a burnt smell.

Does anyone know what kind of a system the rear diff uses as far as like a limited slip or whatever? Is it possible that someone has a breakdown of the parts?

Thanks