General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???

I'm a Subie WRX wagon owner looking into replacing it with an A3. Things I have not liked about the WRX: it's a buzz-box (rattles, buzzes, squeaks come and go every day), turbo lag from the line (has already caused some close calls when quick moves are necessary) and too much attention from teenagers in souped up Civics. It's been a blast to drive, otherwise.

Now, a Subaru WRX can outperform an A3 stock for stock, it's cheaper, and it's considered more reliable by consumer groups. My question: if an Audi is more expensive AND less reliable than other cars similar and below in price, what brings you to keep buying Audis? Exclude the obvious interior quality.

How has Audi quality and reliability changed over the past 5-6 years? Improvements? Major problems that are too common? It seems that on Edmunds or Epinions, people rave about them, and then there will be an isolated consumer who's had a miserable experience with theirs. I really like the A3, but if I'm afraid I might be playing a $30,000 roulette game with more expensive oil changes.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Default RE: Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???

Stock for stock I think an A3 would be a closer match than you think. I think they look nicer, drive smoother, and are very reliable if you take care of them. I also think that the name Audi influences the price a bit but for the most part they are worth it.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Just returned from test driving both the 2.0T and 3.2Q. I thought I would like the 2.0 much better, but the 3.2 had a bit of refinement that I miss in the WRX. Very similar, performance-wise, yes.

I just hope an Audi won't come down with the same rattles and buzzes that have annoyed me since day 1 of owning a Subie. Fit and finish is great on the A3, but not sure if the components underneath the panels are just as solid.

The dealer told me after 5K miles, no oil change is needed til 15K. Is that right? I'm definitely hesitant about waiting 10K miles between oil changes.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

One thing I've learned from owning German made cars (Porsche/Audi) they are built like flippn tanks - but drive like a raped ape! You may get a occassional groan or creak from something that's worked loose (in my case, my driver's seat needed tightening on my TT). But buzzing or rattles? Never heard them personally on my TT yet

Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 AM

My car is very quiet, I haven't discovered an annoying sound yet.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

I personally think Audi's are reliable, as long as the regular maintenance are done.

I used to drive Japanese cars and Audi is relatively a quiet car compare to the cars from the Rising Sun.

I also agree with Flip that you are also paying for the name, but I guarantee you that you'll get what you're paying for.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM

I've had good and bad experiences with my Audis.

Right now I'm on a bad streak with my newest... My 06 A3 has had 4 AC system issues and an electrical issue still unresolved@ only 7k miles. I still don't have it back after I month. Research and beside for yourself.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Val03A3 -

Thanks for piping up about your experiences. From what I've gathered over 2 months of research, common problems with Audis are electrical and oil consumption related, and CR has offered no predicted reliability rating for the US A3 models. Given you've had problems with this brand in the past, what's brought you to getting more of them? Issues you've mentioned aren't exactly minor ones, but what about these cars have made you overlook them when choosing your next car?

It's pretty typical to find consumer reviews of this car to consist of 4-5 raves about them and then one report of an absolutely miserable experience. This thread now fits that pattern! Suporting this are the online reports that various Audi models over the last 5 years have had anywhere from 12-21 problem cars per 100.

My Subaru is probably well below the reliability curve for that brand. Before 10,000 miles, I had an interior door panel replaced, dashboard components tightened up 3 times, and worst of all, the car would on occasion just not start. It's never full-on died, but many times it took several tries from the engine to crank. Within the first year, the dealership had the car for a total of 4 weeks unsuccessfully trying to diagnose the starting issues...they eventually went away, but still! Now with 50,000 miles, the premium stereo has had to be replaced 3 times and the power locks don't always work.

It goes to show any company can produce a lemon or near perfection, I guess. I'd really like to find out how new car reliability for Audis has changed in the last few years.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 AM
4th Gear

The dealer changes the oil at 5K, 15K, 25K, 35K and 45K mi.
They use Castrol Syntec 5W-40. You don't have to change more often.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

At the begining of this summer I bought a 1997 a4 1.8t quattro. Since then it has been a constant money pit. When the car is working well, it drives smooth and shifts wonderfully (The car is deffinatley more refined then the WRX, and I know because I owned one). The problem is that the car is almost never working well, there is always and issue, I fix one thing then its on to the next with no end in site.
Since I have bought the car I have played with the idea of selling it. If the car wasnt so good looking, and so nice to ride I would have bid it farewell long ago (sort of reminds me of and ex-girlfriend of mine lol). I dont have any trust in the car, if I go on a long drive im nervous to take the audi because I am never confident it will make it. Everytime I get in the car I cross my fingers and hope that it will start, everytime I hear it make a groan or strange noise im scared the engine is about to expload. Having no trust in your car is a terrible thing! For it to get that trust back at this point it will have to work perfectly for a long time (and I keep up on the maintanance as much as anyone else).
In summary; if someone said "You want to trade your a4 for your WRX back". You would see me in the WRX tomorow. Hell, I might trade for my 1985 corvette back, It had enough rattels in it to shake your teeth loose, but at least I knew that it would get me to where I wanted to go and started everytime I turned the key.

Quick Reply: Repeat Audi owners: Audi reliability???