General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

S3 over boosting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default S3 over boosting!

Can anyone offer advise on the following:
I have a 2002 Audi S3 ,it has been remapped to 270 BHP approximately 12 months ago. Recently the turbo feels like it is over boosting aswell ascausing the traction control light to illuminate perminantly . After a diagnostic check it showed air mass flow meter and turbo max boost exceeded. I have replaced the air massflow meter and the wastegate. The traction light does not illuminate now but it is still over boosting. Is it likey to be the turbo itself??

Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: S3 over boosting!

Do you have a MBC?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

Thankyou for your reply,without sounding daft what is a mbc? Is it manual boost control? The turbo is a K04 and the remap is the only modification to the car.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

you may have over boosted in the past and it was never reset, disconect the battery cable for a few min (get the radio code first), and see if it clears it up, i read that if it happens in the a4 it has to be re-set before the code will go away.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply,i have had the fault codes reset after every repair i have carried out.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

i'm thinking your ECM tuning and i'm almost positive did NOT and can NOT overwrite the fault memory protocol.

so w/ that said. your ECM is designed throw a code say if you boost over 9 psi. your turbo is capable of more and you tune most likely allows that to happen.

to correct this situation a boost controller will be necessary. i recommend electric over manual so you can actually keep an eye on what your currently boosting

Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: awwdii

Do you have a MBC?
Correct it is a manual boost controller. KNightfall has the right idea your turbo is probably just boosting more then the ecu wants. I had the same issue with my KO3 hybrid and had to put an mbc lower boost to avoid the overcharge in the MAF. Another thing to look at is your air/fuel ratio don't want to run to lean or your gonna end with some engine damage.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

Air fuel mixture has been checked and is ok. If the problem is ecu / tune related i can't understand why it has just started happenin now as i have had the car remapped/chipped twelve months ago and have had no problems before?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

New dump valve control solenoid tried,still fault present. Bit the bullet and baught exchange turbocharger today,will fit it in the next few days and update.[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Removed turbo and inspected,found casting around waste gate where gate shuts to be damaged by heat.This is due to the fact that the gate or actuator has been sticking . [sm=closed.gif]

Quick Reply: S3 over boosting!