General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

some white crap on the oil

Old 12-30-2006, 03:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default some white crap on the oil

iwas checkingmy wife's passat oil level and noticed some white stuff in the oil...i cleaned the stick and checked again...and it comes righ back....anybody knows what that is??? and how to clean (the oil had less then 1500 miles ) thanks

Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: some white crap on the oil

white like mayonaise sort of thing? Hows the coolant look? Thats usually a tell-tale sign of a headgasket issue.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 AM
2nd Gear

yes..mayoo...... i checked the coolant and it was fine..illcheck again
oh.. and it leaks lots of oil ....i guess it leaks from the top cuz it stinks burned oil

Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 PM
4th Gear

Water is in the oil. If it foams alot, you'll have to remove
the valve cover and oil pan and clean them. Make sure
the oil pickup screen is clean. Try to find where the water
enteredinto the oil, andwhere the oil is leaking from.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Administrator

Yeah, that's usually, but not always the sign of a cracked head-gasket. Might be a hairline (read: microscopic) crack, at this point, if it IS the headgasket. Another iindicator is white smoke out teh tailpipe, most noticible under trailing throttle. maybe have someone drive along behiond you while you do a city-highway-city loop, and see if they see any white smoke. If so, headgasket is a good candidate. If not, it's still something to keep in teh back of your mind. Eityher way, you've still got water/coolant leaking into the oil, and there's not a lot of places for that to happen. Others who get PAID to be mechanics could prolly give you more/better advice. Mine is only from my personal experiences...

Old 12-30-2006, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

Water in the oil can also be caused by short drives where the engine doesn't have time to burn the moisture out of the systemm before cooling again.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Senior Administrator

troo, but ypu'd hafta do that an AWFUL lot to build up any appreciable mayo, wudn't you?

Old 12-31-2006, 04:06 AM
2nd Gear

I see it at work fairly reguarly. If yo want to you can taste it coolantin the oil will make it taste sweet, condensation in the oil tastes bitter (an old timers trick).

Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 AM

yep I know that trickbut down to the problem, mayo is yellow in colour - white generally means condensation due to lack of long runs toburn the water out of the oil ( its has a grayish look ), does the coolant level drop? if not then does it have oil in it? if not does it boil over ( overheat )? if not then there is no problem, it normal to get condensation due to bad weather like too hot or too cold that's why its recommended to have a good drive out to burn it up and does the battery some good

Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

i drove back and forth from boston to danbury, 3 housr drive and lots of long driving... let me explain ,,, a day before going to danbury.. i decided to wash the motor and reduce the smeel of burning oil and try to find the leak.. i pressure washed the whole thing top and boton, used degreaser to clean up... a frikin good job if u ask me... now i was wonderingif i got some water into that dipstick oil tube cuz i dont see oil in the coolant and it's only lil mayo on the bottom of that dipstick
.... i'll change the oil this week or soon as i can or should i flush the whole thing? gracias amigos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: some white crap on the oil