General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Specific Tint type for Audi windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Specific Tint type for Audi windows

I searched the site for over two hours for an answer to my question before I posted so forgive me if it is posted somewhere else.

Basically I just purchased an A6 2.7l Quattro and I wanted to tint out the windows to about 50%. The dealer told me that I should use their tinting services because they use a specific type of tint created by 3M that does not include metal. They said otherwise it would reduce my reception (radio) by up to 80%. Finally they quoted me 250 dollars.

I was thinking it was a sales pitch but wanted to make sure before I go to a non-Audi tint shop.

Any advice? Will any tint work?

Thanx

Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Specific Tint type for Audi windows

I have a B6 A4 and got a pretty dark tint allaround.
It cost me $350CAN.
Your dealer doesnt know what hes talking about.
Just make sure you go to a place that knows what theyre doing .

Old 06-01-2005, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

hmmm..... you want to get the tint that has titanium, or some other metal.... The pigment dyed films fade and turn purple over time, unless you like the faded look, also the metal films have more solar blocking power, ie block more heat.... I have titanium film on my A4, I don't have any reception issues!! You should be able to get good film applied for under $200. And also it depends on the look that you want, the metal based films have more of a metalic sheen to them, the charcoal films are just that... charcoal.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Senior Administrator

Does your vehicle have an antenna on the OUTSIDE? I can conceive of no possible way for a tint to affect radio reception when the antenna is outside the passenger compartment. Does all the metal in your house affect your cable reception? Think about it...

Old 06-01-2005, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies!

I called around today and talked to a few Tinting shops in the area. They all agreed with your posts saying the dealer was just handing me a pitch that most films now have no metal and that even if it did it may only cause small differences in reception.

All of the quotes were between 160 and 229 (for the 3M) USD.

Thanx again for the info.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:26 AM
5th Gear

certain tints will decrease your reception considerably because the antenna is built into the rear window on some a4s (maybe all?)

Old 06-04-2005, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

whew i wish i could get mine done under 400... i want 35% all around (except windshield obviously) and the only place that offered a lifetime warantee with the tint (which most highly reccomend) quoted me at about 420 set and done.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

i got metalic charcoal tint (not 3m) with a life time warentee for $180. and yes it did affect my reception. my car looks nice tho

Old 06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

I never thought about having a lifetime warranty, thank you for the tip!

Bird

Old 06-05-2005, 05:49 PM
6th Gear

LLumar window tints come with a lifetime warranty against fading, bubbling, etc. Metallic tints can decrease radio reception dramatically, especially AM frequencies. I don't care what any of those tint shops say, i've seen it happen on these forums for years. I found a tint place that installs Llumar for $150, and it was a PERFECT job. $400 is a scam, it only takes an hour to apply the stuff. Would you pay someone over $300 an hour for anthing?

Quick Reply: Specific Tint type for Audi windows