General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

speedometer audi 80

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Default speedometer audi 80

Hi Guys,
My daily driver is a 1990 Audi 80, 2.0L,3 spd auto., FWD. The other day I noticed the trip odometer had stopped running and when I re-set it to zero the plastic linkage broke. I have fixed that using parts from a spare inst cluster but when I did I realized that the odometer had stopped also.

The speedometer works-only the odo and trip odo stopped working. I have installed the spare inst cluster complete with its own speedo, installed the spare speedometer into the original cluster, and installed my original speedo into the spare cluster all to no avail. I can't see anything broken inside either speedo head-neither speedo works no matter which inst cluster either speedo is installed to.

The odo is electronic. Wiring diagram shows ground, a signal wire from the trans sender, plus two outputs from the speedo- one going to empty socket and one to cruise control (working). Anyone know how to diagnose this properly or have I done it all?

Anyone know where to get a repair done reasonably?