General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Starting Problems

Ok guys it's been awhile since I've posted but now I'm having issues with my 03 1.8t Quattro A4. It seems that on cold mornings, after the car has slept all night it wants to continue sleeping. Now I know that I don't like to get up and go to work or school in the morning either, but honestly now.

But seriously, for some reason it seems if I pump the clutch enough it will decide to turn over. But if I just try to start it up like normal, it doesn't do anything. It just turns the electronics on. It doesn't even try to turn itself over. I don't imagine it's the battery since the stereo and electronics turn on just fine. I don't know if it's the alternator...It doesn't seem like it because it's only on cold mornings after it's sat a long time...

Does anyone have any idea of the cause of this!?

Also does anyone have an recommendations as to where there might be a decently priced shop somewhere around the Everett/Seattle area that can do a good job on changing my timing belt? I'm most likely going to get it done at Futrell Autowerks, but it's around $800 and I'm kinda tight right now, but my car is almost to 72000 miles.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Starting Problems

If the car has a manuall transmission, and you have to pump the clutch a few times on occasion, it sounds likea faulty safety switch. (when working correctly it makes itimpossible to start the car without pressing in the clutch first.)-I'm not sure when Audi started installing these on thier cars.

Could you in the past, before this problem, start the car without pressing down the clutch first?
If not, that sounds like the culprit.

800 bucks for everything out the door including labor isn't bad for a t-belt job.
Futrell is a good place to go from what I've heard.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Starting Problems

If it doesn't even turn over it sounds like a starter problem. It could be the starter itself (or bad solenoid). I've had a couple of cars where the starter begins to work intermittently as it begins to crap out.

Also, the starter won't kick out unless the clutch is depressed so it sounds like its possible that the starter is fine, but that circuit is not being closed with the clutch depressed.

Those are just a couple of ideas that come to my mind from what you described. Hope that helps and good luck with figuring out what's wrong.