General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steel Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Steel Seal?

Okay, I know what 99% of the responses will be before posting this. "Don't use that crap, fix your engine right." Normally I would be among this crowd - I firmly believe in the fact that you get what you pay for. But I am faced with a particularly rough situation. I have a 2001 A4, 1.8T AWM. Engine won't start, low compression in all cylinders, spark plugs coated in oil. I either have a blown head gasket or cracked head. The "particularly rough" part of my situation is that I'm unemployed and broke. I have to get my car running so I can get to work when I do find a job (public transportation is not an option).

So I have a couple questions. My main interest is getting my car on the road for at most six months so I can save to either get a different car or put a new engine in this one. I was recommended Steel Seal in particular by someone who put it in their 2002 Cadillac when he was faced with a blown head gasket, and he says, "I've run that motherf****r like s**t for the past year." Does anyone here have any experience or know someone who has with this stuff in an Audi/VW engine, preferably turbo? Please don't reply telling me not to use it if you're not familiar with it - I already know this is a horrible and unreliable way to deal with the problem, but my finances demand a solution for less than $300. Second, does anyone know if the stuff is compatible with G12 coolant?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

uh... find a beater for 300$ and part out your car move on. Even if it 'ran' for 6 months, there is not way to tell... it would be a ticking time bomb, the friend in the caddy probably had hairline leak, where that stuff would 'work' but your situation sounds serious. With low compression, and a rough idle, give up throw in the towel and move on.