General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange events with speedometer...please help:-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange events with speedometer...please help:-(

Hello everyone.
First, the car:
98 A4 turbo

The issue:
Last week I went over a huge bump in a parking lot. My car is lowered, so even though I went really slow, the bump was so high that I still scraped the bottom of my car. A few hours later, my speedometer starts oscillating. I also got a trouble code the same day (which ended up being speed sensor out of range). The next day, the speedometer was not working at all. I checked the bottom of the car and nothing seems damaged. The place where it scrapes is only the frame. Here is the weird part, the gasoline gauge also started oscillating. This happens specially on turns.
The other day, I was also making a right turn and lowering my electric window at the same time and the window actually stopped going down mid turn, then continued once the turn was over. Because of all of this, I believe there is some form of open or loose wire which is causing this. Has this ever happened with anyone else? Anybody have any ideas? Can someone tell me the location of the speed sensor on these cars?

Thanks in advance:-)

Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Strange events with speedometer...please help:-(

the speed sensors area actually the abs sensor on each wheel. check all your fuses and pull out the instrment cluster and plug it back in. when i slid into a curb last year my speed went dead and kept blowing a fuse, i think a wire was just loose or shorting.this may or may not beyour problem but try it. also try to disconnect the batter for 30 min and see what happens just make sure you have the code. remember these are not gaurenteed to work, its just something to help you get started.