General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Symphony radio unresponsive, but remains lit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Question Symphony radio unresponsive, but remains lit

Dear Audi lovers

Since yesterday morning the Symphony radio in my 01 A4 (B6) won't turn on when I press the power button. The display panel and all the radio buttons remain lit (as they would normally be when driving with the lights on) although there is no writing in the display.
Starting, driving, removing the key from the ignition, and locking the car make no difference - the radio lights remain on continuously.

The car is fitted with a 6-CD front loader. The only occasional hiccup before this was that the driver's side speaker(s) intermittently cut out when playing music at lower volumes (almost as though some minimum threshhold volume has not been reached, and one of the amplifiers has turned off). However, when I crank the volume up, all speakers play clearly.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to avoid an expensive visit to the agents, and I'm concerned that my battery will be drained over time (since the radio lights stay on continuously)

Thanks
Gerard

01 A4 1.8T man
00 A3 1.8T man
ex - 97 A4 2.6 Exec tip (hijacked)
ex - 95 A4 1.8 Exec man (sold)

Last edited by RennSport5; 09-24-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Talking Problem solved

I'm pleased to say that I've solved the problem, by simply removing the radio's fuse and re-inserting it a couple of seconds later. The radio's working again, and the lights now go out when they should

The fuse is housed in a fuse box on the right of the dashboard. To access it, open the front door then prise open the triangular cover on the end of the dashboard using a flat screwdriver in the appropriate slot.
In my car, the radio uses fuse 39, rated at 20 Amps.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM

RennSports5, thanks for your advice. I had the same exact problem with my Audi 02 1.8t radio symphony. I just pulled out fuse #39 like you said and it all worked the same again. I didn't have to reply, but just wanted to say thank you!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

RennSport 5, thanks. Had the same problem today and afraid of battery discharge, but followed your suggestions and problem fixed. The location of the fuse# and a little tool for pulling the fuse out is on the inside of the dashboard portion that you remove.

I had this same problem 4 or 5 yrs ago, but not being a repair whiz, caved in and went to a mechanic. Seeing as how this took about 90 seconds to fix, I shake my head at the couple hundred$ fee the last time

Thanks again!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear
Talking Many thanks!!!!!

Hey Rensport5,

Just wanted to extend a huge thanks for letting us know how you solved this issue. Not even 10 minutes ago I had the same issue after discovering that the radio lights were all lit for god knows how long and this is in the dead of winter here in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Well after fighting off the polar bears and dodging all the hockey pucks to get to a PC, I googled the problem and up came your thread. Problem solved in less than 1 minute.

Next time you're in Ottawa look me up. Beers are on me

Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Hi Guys I am new here, from south africa, I have got a 2003 Audis3, with the symphony radio, the thing is it doesent switch on at all, will that also maybe be the problem? any replies will be much appreciated.

thanks

Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A8L radio stuck on - problem solved

Thanks for the tip,
this just happened to me
Radio was unresponsive but "on" - lit up like it would be if the lights were on, but otherwise no display on radio
Even if i turned off the car, the light was still on

Solution - i pulled the radio fuse and then put it back in again
on the 2002 A8L it is #3A - it is found in the fuse box above the battery on the passenger side trunk well.
2 minutes to fix.... and saved me from draining the battery

Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default radio problem

The radio display is on and all the buttons are lit up and its goes on and off no problem. However, there is jo sound and i already replaced the fuse already. Idk whats wrong. Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Hi there my Audi 4 lights up but do display unsure its it bugged or could I try the fuse removal and see if I get anything

Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

I have Audi A4 B6 and my radio working perfectly but the radio buttons not lit up.
Just the radio display is working.

I have tried the resetting removing the fuse, but remaining same.
Radio type : Audi Chorus

Can anybody help me to find the bug?

Thanks

Last edited by dilhemz; 11-11-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Symphony radio unresponsive, but remains lit