General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Default Timing Belt Noise

So I recently purchased a 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 180HP engine, 5 speed manual. The other morning I was driving and accidently let the clutch out when I thought it was in nuetral, but it was in second. I was going about 25-30 mph and pushed the clutch back in immediatly when I felt the car engage into gear. I dont feel like it was that bad of a jerk and rpm's did not redline but ever since that point the car started making a loud noise that increased with an increase in rpm's. It sounded like an alternator belt squeeling but a little ruffer. After I investigated, I took off the upper TB cover and noticed that the teeth of the TB were rubbing on the motor mount right where the TB tensioner is. What should I do? I tried loosening the tensioner allen head bolt to rotate the tensioner but it would not rotate. How would this happen? What should I do? thank you

Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 PM

So just to keep you guys updated. I ordered the deisel geek timing belt kit. I need to replace the timing belt anyway because the car has 84000 miles. Any opinions on deisel geeks parts? i was also thinking this problem may be due to the motor mount not stabalizing the engine so that the whole engine moved forward. Possibly could be bad bearings as well. What do you guys think?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

I think I would have checked to make sure it did not skip a tooth then pull it forward again. Your engine did not move.
The stress of chugging down second gear on a popped clutch could have backed up the belt but that would mean your tensioner is probably bad. Replace the tensioner and the rollers with the belt. I don't think 25-30 is hard for second gear though you just got that tensioner before it got you. If it skipped a tooth you probably would have noticed it on the way home. Running like crap.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that too but there was no loss of power, the engine ran the same but there was just a loud noise. I ordered the deisel geeks timing kit for this car and it comes with a new tensioner/roller system, so hopefully this fixes the problem. Also, is there supposed to be a slit on the motor mount for the edge of the tensioner to spin through. It literally looks like the tensioner cut its way into the motor mount metal a little.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear

Can you take a picture You most likely need to replace that mount. Also do your waterpump while you are in there.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM

Got a waterpump on the way, thanks. Heres a couple pictures of the situation. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Noise-011.jpg   Timing Belt Noise-007.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 AM

damn thats pretty bad!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Yeah... I didn't think it was supposed to look like that. Is it the tensioner that caused this to happen? I guess from that response i should probably get a new motor mount while I'm at it. Any ideas where I can get a good stock one for a decent price?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

Oh ya... definately get a new mount. It looks like your engine DID move, breaking one or more mounts and shifting the engine. Look under the car at the tranny mounts too.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Should I just replace the rubber or do you think that slit in the metal has caused to much structural damage. Do you know of vendors that sell OEM motor mounts for this car? I can't seem to find any.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Noise