General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vag-com

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Vag-com

Hello from Canada

I'm fairly new to Audis; I got one a couple months ago as my DD. It's a 97 2.8 A4 Quattro, 5spd.

Recently the CEL came on during a trip, I have also been having some idle issues (after driving a while in bad traffic, engine would sometimes die coming to or at a stop, with a lower than usual idle speed).

I understand that I need a vag-com tool to check what the code is. I've seen two types, one with a cable with software that you'd use with a laptop (similar to dataloging I'd assume), and the obd2 scanner type.

So I have two questions.

Which should I get? This is just going to be DD, I just want something that I can scan and reset codes/oil light/etc (since I'll be doing the servicing myself).

Also, where's the best/cheapest place for me to get it?

Thanks you!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

So I was able to get one of the local forum members to help me with a scan, and it's throwing this code

17517 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B2 S2: Voltage too Low / Air Leak

It's also accompanied by stalling issues when it's warm/hot, and it's getting progressively worse. At first it was intermittent when it was hot, how it's all the time even a minute into driving.

Stalling when going into neutral is a symptom of a vacuum leak right?

The B2S2 o2 sensor was replaced in '06 due to the same code... so i feel like that shouldn't be the problem (but then again it could be a poorer quality aftermarket unit).

Any thoughts?