AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/)
-   -   Valve Cover Gasket (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/valve-cover-gasket-53436/)

wisheson_stars 02-03-2007 12:28 AM

Valve Cover Gasket

Hi,

I have a 1999 Audi A4 2.6 Quattro and recently I was told that I need to have a Valve Cover Gasket replaced and that I have to go to the dealership for this. Is this something that is expensive to fix?

Thanks for all of your help!

SAudi 02-03-2007 03:47 AM

RE: Valve Cover Gasket

Im assuming yours a European member, but it shouldnt be too hard to fix if you do it yourself, dealers will probably overcharge, for the vavlve cover gasket all you should have to do is remove the retaining bolts on the valve cover, remove, put in new gasket with alittle bit of RTV sealnt and put it back on. really not a hard job or expensive if you do it yourself.

a6xlr8s 02-10-2007 10:19 PM

If you are changing one vcg than you should do both. Most dealers will charge for both, do the leaking one, then if the other one goes they will fix it under "warrenty" from the original job. Hopefully you have a dealer you can trust and won't pull that stuff. Also, the proper job for changing the valve cover gasket includes changing the inner gaskets (one per side) also.

2k S4 02-11-2007 04:18 PM

Yes, do both. While not hard, it takes some time. Expect about 3-6 hrs. The first time is the hardest & will take the most time.
Might as well replace the spark plugs while you are in there.

wisheson_stars 03-20-2007 06:40 PM

But is this an expensive procedure? Is there anything else I should have them look at as well?

Thank you!

2k S4 03-20-2007 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: wisheson_stars

But is this an expensive procedure? Is there anything else I should have them look at as well?

Thank you!
5hrs labor, $80 for the gaskets

modset 03-21-2007 08:50 PM

that's the diy price. dealers will charge you about $800-$900 to do this. very easy to do yourself and there are some great writeups around to give you step by step instructions.

wisheson_stars 03-27-2007 03:34 PM

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it. I took my car into the dealer and they told me that it is actually the Cam Shaft somethings and I should also get the Timing Belt changed. They said it was going to be about $1500. So, I called my regular place and they said they could do it all for about $500. Sometimes I wish I was a mechanic and knew how to do all of these things myself! Thanks again for all of your help.

M3Armand 12-23-2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2k S4 (Post 478054)
5hrs labor, $80 for the gaskets

FIVE HOURS labor for the valve cover gasket? You have to be joking. This should be an hour at most. Also, the valve cover gaskets are $26 for aftermarket and $35 for OEM at ECStuning.com

ImTheDevil 12-23-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by modset (Post 479377)
that's the diy price. dealers will charge you about $800-$900 to do this. very easy to do yourself and there are some great writeups around to give you step by step instructions.

Which is absolutely a bullshit rate. Seriously, I paid $50 for four gaskets (inner and outer for each head), and spent about an hour doing the work. It's easy to do, although "easy" may depend on how much wrench time you have in your past. Still, I know a few people with very little mechanical history who've done this job without trouble and in less than two hours. Don't hesitate to try it.