General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Warranty "Trim" Exclusions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear
Post Warranty "Trim" Exclusions

One reason I liked Audis initially was that their factory warranty seemed to cover everything on the car except tires and windshields. When my 03 A4 had issues, I would take them to the dealer and they would fix it without issue. What I've come to learn since getting my 06 A4 3.2 is that the warranty coverage has been watered down with exclusions - the biggest one being the trim warranty that limits coverage to 1 year, 12K miles for any trim item that fails because of manufacturer defect due to "normal" wear. What's more frustrating is that they've created this exclusion without fixing the problems that were the source of these issues to begin with - e.g., the controls and buttons with a covering that dissolves because of exposure to heat or coming into contact with hand lotion or the exterior aluminum trim that inexplicably starts to discolor and corrode after about a year or so.

But I guess what I'm wondering are some dealers better than others about using this exclusion to get out of warranty repairs and replacements for such items? It seems to me that "normal wear" would constitute items that one would expect to eventually wear down from normal use of the car (brake pads, etc.) and that it's really a stretch to say it includes every non-mechanical part of the car that seems to fall apart without reason.

You would also think as matter of image and reptuation (not to mention free advertising) that Audi would want their cars to look their best for the first 2-3 years. I think it really says something that they're only willing to stand behind their fit and finish work 1 year or 12,000 miles from the date of purchase.

Anyone else feel the same way? Or have others found that their dealers are willing to go to bat for them and stand behind the products that they sell without invoking this limitation at every turn? I love driving the car but I'm pretty sick of the hassles over stupid stuff like this. Just curious about other experiences/opinions (particularly those with dealer experience in the Seattle area over these issues). Thanks!