General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What do I do?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Default What do I do?????

So, I just bought a a 97 A8 4.2 quattro from a police seizure auction for 5,800! Yea, 5,800!!! I was estactic, way stoked on the price ran good sounded good, everything looked great. I had it towed to my mechanicjust to find out the transmission is shot and I need a new one! Do I spend the money to have it fixed or replace the whole thing???? This is my first Audi and I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me a little more about the car. The problems, the ups and downs and if your happy with the car in genral. About the cost of a new tranmission as aposed to rebuilding the one have. Please help!!!!!!

-MIKE-

Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Default RE: What do I do?????

I would have your transmission rebuilt since simply replacing the tranny will only put another stock used tranny in your car but rebuilding it is better than brand new since new better than OEM parts are used.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What do I do?????

in my occasions a rebuild usually costs more than just contacting some yards to find one with less miles..u can probably buy two used ones for the price of one rebuild..whats odd is that i nvr really hear of audis transmissions going out. they are built hardy! lol