General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what do you think about the Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default what do you think about the Audi TT

ok im 16 years old im looking for a black audi TT coupe..

But i have a few questions about it. How much you think insurence will be for me for like an 01 00?
Also do you think the TT is more of a pimp(big rims) car or the speedy upgrade the turbo and do the othwer basics?

Old 09-12-2004, 04:44 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: what do you think about the Audi TT

At 16 it is expensive to insure any car!

All I can say, is that the tt may be a bit much for a first car unless you have deep pockets, a great paying afterschool job, or a father that is willing to pony up some serious cash for upkeep.

These are expensive cars, with expensive parts, and few aftermarket alternatives. this is not the kinds of car where you can drop into Pep boys and pick up a 5 dollar fuel filter and 1 dollar spark plugs.

To give you an idea of what you are getting yourself into, spark plugs are about 16 dollars each, Pensosyn power steering fluid is about 13 dollars a liter, Bosch oil filter is about 12 dollars. Antifreeze is about 20 dollars.

This is just to give you a taste of the relative costs vs a toyota.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

hmmm well i must say i still want one lol

Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 AM
6th Gear

Ok a 16 year old does not need to be driving around in a TT, you are going to get yourself killed. My first car was a 92 toyota pickup, and I thought I had it good!

Old 09-13-2004, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen
Ok a 16 year old does not need to be driving around in a TT, you are going to get yourself killed. My first car was a 92 toyota pickup, and I thought I had it good!
My knee-jerk reaction would be the same, but there is always an exception. I would be very cautious as a parent though. A 16 year old with respect for the road and the car he's driving may do very well with the TT, but the young driver would have to be a very conservative driver. It is almost inevitable that an accident of some sort will happen within the first three years of driving (statistics suggest this fact). It would be a shame to get into an accident in a TT!!
Every new driver has to learn, by experience, what his/her limits are, and the best way to do that is with a forgiving vehicle; the TT is not this type of vehicle. Young, new drivers start out with a lot of bravado and confidence. They convince themselves that they are competent and skilled after just a few hours behind the wheel of their first car. This premature overconfidence is intoxicating and impairs judgement.
I'm not preaching ultra-conservatism here; I'm just concerned. I have learned, by experience, that 99% of young drivers are so excited about their new "independence" that they lose perspective - they are in control of more than 3000 pounds of metal, and they are traveling upwards of 5 times the speed of their old ten-speed bicycle. Maybe all new drivers should take a short course on physics (momentum and inertia come to mind) as part of their driver's ed.
I could go on and on (I probably have already). I guess I'm saying that wannabejdm could be very happy with the TT and may own one for several years of trouble-free driving, but I'm cautiously hopeful that he's a mature and sensible driver. With properly channeled respect for the car and the road, he may become an excellent driver that many other drivers may come to admire and respect, too.

Sorry for the soap box. Just my opinions.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Administrator

i agree wit Jestnomen youre 16 you shouldnt be driving a car like that, you should be driving a used hand me down car until u realize how to drive and know how to take care of a car

Old 09-25-2004, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

just yesterday while driving my dump truck during the day i saw a "riced up" car fly by me and make a lane change at the same time and spin out on the interstate.just glade there was none hurt.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

well you cant judge all kids by the few stupid ones who think there fast and the furious now

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM

what about this. I know you want a TT and i know that no matter what anybody says the fact remains that you want a TT. I think thats great, i wanted an Evo8. I could have gotten an evo8 but after talking with my fiancee and test driving this beast i realized that this is too much car for me to handle. Im not saying that your incapable of handling a TT b/c i have no athority to make this judgement. what i would suggest is top start out with differnet car; it doesnt have to be a slow one but get some expierience first. Something like an Integra GSR or a 94-95 mustang GT. something that will still give you statis among your friends. then maybe in a year or two you can look into maybe a used TT. this is my suggestion, do as you please

Old 10-11-2004, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

yeah i wanted to do that but my parents are givin me 20gs b/c im doing good in school and stayingout of trouble. and wut every money i dont use then i cant use or get back.. so im forced to use all 20. and i dont want to see my 20gs go to waste on a 01 gsr or mustang or what ever i also figure that this is probly the one and only chance to have a high performance lugury car with out me breakin out my walet, which isnt very thick to start with