General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What does everyone think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default What does everyone think?

Well, after much bitching and moaning, I am finally taking my car in tomorrow morning. I'm taking it to a local european shop. I told them about the two codes that I'm getting and they said they thought it would probably be the O2 sensors? P0171 and P0174. They are both fuel trim bank 1 and 2 system too lean. I wouldn't think that would be the O2 sensors? Anyway, he said that the 60 thousand mile service would be 250 bucks. He called me back and said that if it's the O2 sensors they are 180 bucks a piece and that all four could have to be replaced! He said that the O2 sensors for the A6 are more than most Porsches! So, now we are looking at maybe a grand and I haven't even taken it in yet. Does anyone know if the O2 sensors are covered by warranties? Is this a good price for the sensors? I think tomorrow might be a bad day...

Old 04-05-2006, 02:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What does everyone think?

i paid 135.00 with ups red shipping for one sensor, do a search on yahoo on audi o2 sensor, he should be able to detech which one is bad, at least the guy that fixed mine told me which one it was, the code i had was heater circuit malfunction. seems a little high on the price if you ask me, changing the sensor isn't that hard, i would try to do it yourself. my mechanic charged me $100.00 to replace the o2 sensor and put on my swaybar set.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

all four of your 02 sensors to go bad at the same time is highly doubtful. for both banks to be running lean I would be looking for a vacuum leak. However if the code you have has words (mult.) after the description it is most likly the mass air flow sensor. What year, miles, and engine do you have?

Old 04-06-2006, 01:25 AM
6th Gear

Which engine do you have?

Old 04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
3rd Gear

It's the 4.2. They found the following that were bad. All of which were covered by warranty thank god. They only did the service though. I'm taking it to Audi for the warranty work on Saturday morning.

Mass Air Flow Sensor
3 out of 4 o2 sensors were bad.
Both of my CATS were bad as well.

I couldn't believe how much was broken. I'm just thankful that it is all covered under my warranty. It would have been way too expensive.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

Kinda sounds like they dont know what theyre talking about. The catalytic converter test is perfomred using the oxygen sensors. So if they are not working you cant test the cats using the scan tool.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 AM
3rd Gear

I dropped it off at Audi this morning and found that one of my CATs is bad and the mass air flow sensor is bad. They are fixing both of them and I will have my car back by Wed. of next week which kinda sucks. They have to order the parts. I'm just glad it's not going to cost me any cash.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

nice nice... ive been hearing alot about Audi's and bad cats....

Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 PM
3rd Gear

Yep. Even if you don't have a warranty, they are covered until 77,000 miles. So are the mass flow sensors. It's good because I don't even have to pay my deductible. Never been to the stealership and no bent over. LOL.