General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wheel bearing help

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
4th Gear
Default Wheel bearing help

alas, 6 months after replacing a rearwheel bearing i have to replace the other ine because it just went out. i want to get it done asap since the last one took out the abs sensor which i am still trying to replace. my last earing i got for $25 shipped but now looking online i cant find a single kit with only one rear bearing for less than $60, yes i know that isnt bad for a bearing but im poor and id much rather pay for20-50 for a bearing, anyone know what other bearing are compatible with my 96 a4 quatto. i found some kits on ebay but they say theyll only fit the aha engine codes or only with on the 80/90 quattro, is this just BS or they infact compatible.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: Wheel bearing help

if you have all the details of the bearing then go to a place that suppliesbearings chances are you will get it for a lot less, and if you have the old one they will match it up and you might even be able to get a better quality one just a thought because that's the way I do it

Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
4th Gear

thats just the problem i dont know what bearing i have, i wish i replaced both at the same time. oh well. can you atleast tell me if allt he B5 a4 quattros had the same rear wheel bearings,i know i can get one off a 99 for about 30usd which isnt bad at all.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

are you going to replace the wheel bearing yourself? i just had one of my rear bearings replaced as well but i was too poor to do both at the same time. i had my mechanic do it, and it ran me around $600!!! i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but i've heard that you need a special tool to pull the bearing out...how long did it take you if you did it yourself, and what was the level of difficulty? I've never taken a wheel off and messed with anything before....

Thanks!

LampyB.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
SoCal Crew Member

you would need a press to take out the old and put in the new....

and for the bearing price.... 50-60 is not bad.... don't buy a real cheap one because it won't last too long.... especially for an enthusiest like yourself

Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: LampyB

are you going to replace the wheel bearing yourself? i just had one of my rear bearings replaced as well but i was too poor to do both at the same time. i had my mechanic do it, and it ran me around $600!!! i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but i've heard that you need a special tool to pull the bearing out...how long did it take you if you did it yourself, and what was the level of difficulty? I've never taken a wheel off and messed with anything before....

Thanks!

LampyB.
you got ripped off, my last bearing cost me $25(*** bearing) from some guy that just had it laying around, i eventually just bought a factory meyle bearing and i guess the AFC and AHA codes do differ but i had that bearing put in for 175 at NTB, after they had to send it across town becuase there press wasent in tune. i tried to do it myself, but one old car lots of crap i gotta cut through and when i finnaly got the upright out i looked at the bearing and said, to hell with this and just put it on because i counldnt get the bearing out .

Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

My brother just purchased a Volkswagen wheel bearing for a reasonable price... Forgot though to ask him where he bought it... Got no idea on how to replace a old bearing with new.. I guess I don't have time for it with all the busy work I have...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

I just took a look at the bearings available and the rear is the same as the front. They list 3 different sizes.
75mm, 82mm and 85mm diameter. Without removing one how do you know which is in yours?

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

it really like 2 bearing theres an outer diameter and inner diameter.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
TBM
1st Gear

You might try looking into a VW Passat bearing. The Passat and A6 use much the same architecture as the A4. Blauparts sells parts for both VW and Audi. They might be able to match something for you.

I had both rear bearings replaced on my '98 A4, the second one two weeks after the first. My mechanic (good Audi/VW guy) actuallyremoves the guts of the bearing and carefully cuts the outer race (the part that's tight) with a torch. He doesn't need a puller. I think he installs the new bearing using a piece of pipe and a dead blow hammer. All this allows the work to be done without pulling off the carrier or using specialty VW/Audi tools. Sounds crude, but it works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel bearing help