General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where to buy OE quality axle with cv joints and boots already on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Where to buy OE quality axle with cv joints and boots already on?

Like description said, where can i buy a OE quality axle with cv joints and boots already on for a 1999 model FWD A6 1.8t for a reasonable price?

I generally buy stuff from GermanAutoParts because they send parts really fast (i live in Norway) and the parts are good quality, but they dont have this part that i need. And the Norwegian Audi dealer are ripping my guts out for OEM parts, so therefore i always order parts from overseas

Last edited by vwraaner; 08-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if shipping from the US is an economical option for you, but I bought an EMPI brand axle (front passenger side) for my '98 A4 quattro a few months ago for $77 from autopartswarehouse.com and it's held up well so far (keep in mind I drive a stock 2.8 and do so without major "acrobatics", which may be different from you if you're a real raaner...). Only minor gripe was that it came without a new axle bolt, but those are only ~$5 separately. Yes, it's made in China - a lot of noise about "crappy Chinese parts" on the boards out there - but most things are these days.

I would recommend looking up the exact fitment on the EMPI website first (EMPIUS.COM : WELCOME TO EMPIUS.COM), as the parts numbering can be confusing with different retailers. You can probably find the EMPI axles through other retailers as well. I know ECS Tuning sells EMPI axles as well, but use different part numbering (it's probably the same axle, but more expensive).

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by saether
Not sure if shipping from the US is an economical option for you, but I bought an EMPI brand axle (front passenger side) for my '98 A4 quattro a few months ago for $77 from autopartswarehouse.com and it's held up well so far (keep in mind I drive a stock 2.8 and do so without major "acrobatics", which may be different from you if you're a real raaner...)
I think i will save cash anyway, the norwegian dealer wanted something like 650$ for a CV joint only! And if i can pick up a whole axle with CV joints and boots already on alot cheaper than that, it is really nothing to think about

You know what a raaner is?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

I tried searching on the autopartswarehouse.com site and came up with this: EMPI Front, Passenger Side Axle Assembly for 93,95$

Only thing now, it states that it will fit: "1999 Audi A6 Base 6 Cyl 2.8L submodels". I hope it fits my car, i have a 1.8t 20v engine in my A6 and strangely enough that combination is rare over at your side of the pond

Last edited by vwraaner; 08-25-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I do know what a raaner is (i'm also norwegian...), he he.

Engine combinations in europe tend to be different (gas prices, tax based on engine size, etc), but axle parts are possibly common. I would check out empi's parts catalog to be sure. I would think the type of transmission is what matters, since that's what the axle connects to. But I could be wrong.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I do know what a raaner is (i'm also norwegian...), he he.

Engine combinations in europe tend to be different (gas prices, tax based on engine size, etc), but axle parts are possibly common. I would check out empi's parts catalog to be sure. I would think the type of transmission is what matters, since that's what the axle connects to. But I could be wrong.
Jeg mistenkte det pga nicket ditt, men var ikke helt sikker...

Hmmm, maybe i should check out what transmisson 2.8 engines have vs my 1.8t. But if i did not misunderstand they stated that the Empi axle would fit all C5 A6's...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

It's not unlikely it will fit, but then again the C5 A6 came with no less than 10 different engine and 4 transmission (5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, automatic w/CVT, automatic w/tiptronic) options worldwide (according to wikipedia, at least).

The EMPI catalog only lists one axle option as well, but it could be referring to US models only. Not sure how you could verify the match. It would be strange if Audi made different transmission sizes for different markets (different gearing based on engine, yes, but not external size of the housing and the drive shafts) - or what? I'd do a bit more research, though - best of luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Update: 8,000 miles later, and no complaints with the EMPI axle, for what it's worth.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

Update: 8,000 miles later, and no complaints with the EMPI axle, for what it's worth.
Metric or US miles? I think i will go for a Empi axle anyways

My A6 is a 1999 model FWD 1.8t, can i use any axle made for a FWD or do i have to look for a axle that fits my gearbox and engine?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

8,000 US miles (~13,000 km).

In terms of fit, I suggest you do some more research to ensure that the 2.8 FWD fits a 1.8 FWD - perhaps other forum members can help out, I don't know myself. The US models have tended to have larger engines than the European ones (at least historically), presumably a function of European vs US gas prices and the fact that car taxes and fees in Europe tend to be based on engine size in some countries. It's possible that the axles are interchangeable (one would think that Audi engineers designed a certain level of commonality between models), but then again they may not be...

Quick Reply: Where to buy OE quality axle with cv joints and boots already on?