General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where did the oil come from???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Default Where did the oil come from???

So today I decided to change my oil for the first time on my 03 A4 1.8T Quatto (AMB).

I drained the oil in a pan, pulled off the filter, once empty I replaced the plug, pre-filled the filter and installed the filter, I started off by putting 2 quarts in right away expecting a capacity of about 4.5qts. I checked the oil level just to make sure nothing crazy was happening and the dip stick showed at least an extra quart?!?!?!?!

Thinking I'm crazy I poured the (new) oil pan back out and measured about 4quarts and change. I waited about 10 mins for the oil level to settle and still had same level. I started it up for about 5 sec and checked it again still nothing. The car is on a level surface and I am thoroughly confused. I've changed my truck oil countless times and now this craziness.

Anybody seen or heard of this???? over 4 quarts out and only 2 in and it's over filled?????

I'm gonna let it sit for awhile and check it again.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM

don't prefill the filter.... its not necessary... it takes 4.8 to be exact... who cares how much comes out... just aslong as the dipstick reads when your done.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Well I figured out I'm an idiot. Atleast I figured it out myself instead of paying someone else to do it and before I drove it...

Yeah I definitely drained the transmission It's on it's way to getting towed and filled.

Just for future reference for any other idiots out there that may or do this too, the oil plug is under the black plastic shrouding furthest forward under the car. The black pan behind that shroud with an allen key plug is definitely the transmission....