General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where is my oil going? 98 a4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Where is my oil going? 98 a4 2.8

This is a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with Auto transmission and 2.8l v6. I recently bought this car and after driving it for a few days I found that oil was slowly leaking out from around the cam chain tensioner gaskets and dripping on the exhaust manifolds, giving the car a bad burning smell in the cab. I replaced the cam gaskets, end caps, and valve cover and spark plug gaskets. I used a high quality gasket sealer along with each seal. I ran the car for 3 days (about 200 miles) and checked all the seals, and everything was dry. Underneath the car was dry, as it has always been. Everything looked great. The oil and filter was changed with a Mobile 1 filter and Mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic and the level was just below the max level. I checked it again in 100 miles, and the oil was at the minimum line now. I put less than a quart in to get it back up to level, checked all the seals, everything was still completely dry, no drips underneath. Checked it again in another 100 miles, now it's below the minimum level, barely even showing on the dipstick, the engine light came on too! Everything is still dry. The car has 105,000 miles on it and it does not smoke, it does has a slight burning smell when defrost is on, but I was assuming this was still just from leftover oil on the manifold. Where in the hell is my oil going? As far as I can see from underneath, the oil lines are dry and the oil cooler is clean and dry. This has a catch pan underneath and it is fairly clean. This is my first Audi, and after doing some reading, I saw that the cam chain tensioner gasket leaks were common, but I can't find any common cause for vanishing oil. I'm freaking out here, does anyone have any ideas?