General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

whining

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default whining

Can someone explain this- a whining sort of noise coming from the front of car when acceralating,also noticeable when slowing down i have a audi a4 1.9tdi 115bhp model any ideas??Just got the car and never had a diesel b4 so any new noise i hear am wondering whats that?
Car is still under 2 month warranty

Old 03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: whining

sounds like blower whine. best way to track down an underhood noise is to get one of theos tubes that XMas paper comes wrapped around (ditch teh paper, first), and hold it up to your ear while you listed to varioous parts of your underhood area (open hood before attempting this manuever). The tube will allow you to listen to specific areas without ambient (good word, huh?) noise interfering. Have a friend (someone w/o a sense of humor, or you'll regret it) glently rev up yout engine while you check different areas for teh noise you heard. Once you know, more accurately, where teh noise is coming from... REPORT BACK HERE IMMEDIATELY FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS!!! Just kidding. Ummm... do let us know where it is and maybe try to give yus a betR description. i.e., is teh noise more related to road speed, or engine speed? You're not listening to road noise from a brand new set of Gummi (tires, gettit?), are you? Maybe your S/O has a nasal condition (crusty snot wheeze) and you can ONLY hear it under certain conditions?

Hope I've sorta helped[8D]

Old 03-11-2006, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

speed wise it starts about 60mph would it be the turbo coming in by any chance?like i said above haven't had a diesel b4 or turbo so really don't have a clue about them.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Senior Administrator

If it's turbo related it would be engine speed dependent. meaning, once teh engine got up to a specific speed teh whining will begin to kick in...

See if you can find one of those tubes (with teh paper removed, remember)

pop the hood

start teh car

with one end of teh tube up to your ear, move the other one around various parts of teh engiine compartment

if you din't hear any whining have somoene s - l - o - w - l - y bring up teh revs while you move teh tube around teh engine compartment some more

you said "when accelerating," which is what leads me to believe it's the turbo

at 60 you should be turning somewhere between 2250 & 2750 rpm, I'm guessing, so have your ppartner rev from those engine speeds UP

If you can't pick up teh noise that way you'll hafta try a different way to see if it's separate from road or engine noise

run it up to about 65-70 (somewhere you are not very likely to get tagged for speeding)

put it in neutral and let it coast down

any whine?

rev teh engine

Any whine?

Repeat until you're sure it's either road speed dependant (which means a chassis issue), or engine dependant (possibly a turbo issue simply because the turbo spins fast enough to whine.

another thought occurs

any loose belts?

Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

so once you get up to a certain speed whining will kick in? so is it supposed to be like that then or does the whining indicate a problem?

Old 03-12-2006, 08:53 AM

get it up to 70 mph then dip the clutch and see if the noise goes off if it doesn't then im going for road noise "tyres" I cant hear my turbo at all but I can feel when it kicks in with the extra boost, you might need an oil and filter change

Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Oil and filter change was supposed to have been done by dealer b4 i picked it up which was last wednesday,timing belt and tensioner was also done on car,i may have to check an make sure work was done is this easy to check?So in reply to your post if i dip clutch and whining stops what would that indicate.
Does the turbo usually make a whine or not?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM

Oil and filter change was supposed to have been done by dealer check it

timing belt and tension was also done on car did they give any proof as in a warranty on parts and is the noise coming from the timing belt (over tight makes that noise??),

only car I ever had was the new BMW mini the turbo did my head in that's why I got rid of it the Audi's don't whine at all as far as I know (never had any problems with that issue)

Old 03-12-2006, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Ok
Thanks for all the input,took car on road today up to 70mph then dipped clutch,no change in whining still the same then approached turn off started braking and whine got noticeably louder whilst braking??

Old 03-12-2006, 03:05 PM

well that rules the engine out and its components which is good news, check condition of tyres like are they deformed in any way, are they directional tyres and on the wrong way, conditions of rotors and break pads

Quick Reply: whining