General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't Stay running, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Won't Stay running, Please Help!

I have a 1999 A4 2.8L Quattro, beautiful, but alas, She won't stay running. Cranks ok-ish, but if left to idle without holding the throttle, she dies fast. If I keep holding the throttle, she runs rough and loud. Also, not sure if it is connected or not, but I think there is a small oil leak on the pass side of the engine as smoke keeps coming from there, The smoke started around the same time as the not running problem. Since I cannot drive it, and don't have an OBD system, I can't tell you the engine codes. I also don't have a pile of money sitting around to pour into her. I would call the dealership, but they would tell me to tow it there(30 min away) and let them start replacing things til they get it right, and take my first child as payment. So, If you have any Ideas, Please Help.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Won't Stay running, Please Help!

ISC Sensor possibly?

The Idle Speed ControlSensor is located on the throttle body, it is actually part of it!

Look into it

Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

Ok, I'll check it. But idk, would that cause problems running at engine speeds higher than idle? Like I said, it runs bad when I keep it running with the throttle too. Before this, It ran like a dream.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

perhaps a vacuum leak? that would explain the smoke and would make it not run right.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

what vacuum leak would cause smoke?

a vacuum leak could cause a bad running condition, but usually just a high idle.. your symptoms sound more like a cracked or leaking exaust manifold. would explain smoke coming out, loud engine.. air messing up the 02 reading would make it run like crap, perhaps even kill it at idle.. id start there, with out being able to look at it, this is a tough diagnosis.. that situation would hypothetically cause thosesymptoms

get a ride to you local auto zone or equivalent. tipically they will let you take their scanner home to run codes with a deposit and or leaving your drivers license.. its up to them if they do it..

Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Will do, I'll update with the engine codes Friday. I'll also double check all hoses connected to the throttle body, In another thread, I read about something that sounded similar, his problem was a hose came disconnected from the throttle body by the Mass Airflow. I pray it's that simple, but as long as We can figure this out, I'll be happy.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Sounds very much like a large vaccum leak. A vaccum leak doesn't only affect the car at higher speeds but also at idle. On my brothers car the hose to the idle air control valve came off and the car would crank and turn over but as soon as it started it stalled out again. We could not figure it out and the hose that came off was not in plain sight so it took us a good couple of hours to find that culprit. Just take your time and inspect the engine area for anything out of the ordinary and visually and physically inspect all connections from where they start and where they connect.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Well none of the auto parts places will allow me to 'Borrow' their OBDIIs so can't get the codes today. I am still going to go check ALL the hoses, will update tonight about them. If it is not the hoses, I'll buy a simple OBDII and get the codes, but it might take a week or so.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

I suppose your car isn't drivable to get to a Car Place that can hook up a ODII Reader.

YOu could just buy one and then after you get the codes return it [8D]

Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

http://www.ttstuff.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=FM225TH

Check this little bugger. It gave me a lot of headaches and isn't in plain sight. If it slipped off just slightly your car wont run

Quick Reply: Won't Stay running, Please Help!