AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/)
-   -   intake box question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-25/intake-box-question-174899/)

a499noob 10-10-2011 09:39 PM

intake box question

I own a 99 a4 5spd quattro and I am quit sad I have no turbo sound or blow off sound but I was told by a friend all I have to do is replace box with a cone filter is this true if so what do u do with the maf and all those vac lines oh and this question is not related bit how do I vr some more bottom end HP out of this car

02quattrokev 10-10-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by a499noob (Post 1339135)
I own a 99 a4 5spd quattro and I am quit sad I have no turbo sound or blow off sound but I was told by a friend all I have to do is replace box with a cone filter is this true if so what do u do with the maf and all those vac lines oh and this question is not related bit how do I vr some more bottom end HP out of this car

The stock air box quietens down the sound of the turbo alot, getting a aftermarket intake will certainly increase the sound.

a499noob 10-10-2011 10:23 PM

Do I have to get a whole intake or can I get just a cone like nu friend said

02quattrokev 10-10-2011 10:34 PM

No the whole intake box will be required, in changing that it opens up air flow that is restricted, the stock air box limits the amount of air that can come in also keeping noise down. I've been looking at some for my car ' 2002 a4 quattro 1.8T' intakes for mine are between 250-350 dollars depending on manufacturer.

a499noob 10-10-2011 10:55 PM

Ok so just so I got this strait I can't just pull off box and put a cone on correct? I have to buy a new turbo inlet and cone can I leave stock d vaulve on and acheave the same effect or does that have to be up graded to

redline380 10-10-2011 11:00 PM

You sure don't need to have a box. You could pick up a cone filter but you'd need to do a little fabrication. You'd need to integrate the mass air flow sensor and housing and a hose for the secondary air injection. It would be way cheaper than an intake for your car. Or do the Swiss cheese airbox mod. Cheapest route

02quattrokev 10-10-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by redline380 (Post 1339166)
You sure don't need to have a box. You could pick up a cone filter but you'd need to do a little fabrication. You'd need to integrate the mass air flow sensor and housing and a hose for the secondary air injection. It would be way cheaper than an intake for your car. Or do the Swiss cheese airbox mod. Cheapest route

Swiss cheese airbox mod, lol. Sure you can go this route and do some ghetto rigged up stuff, or you can buy a reputable aftermarket intake and turbo inlet pipe. Your choice. Sorry don't buy an Audi if you don't plan on putting money into it.

redline380 10-11-2011 12:06 AM

Hey I didn't advise it. Not like id do it but the guy wants sound so I deliver

a499noob 10-11-2011 08:15 AM

Never said I was going cheap I just wanted to know if the cone thing was tru I'm not rigging anything ill be placing my order for a turbo inlet aka intake pretty soon thanks for u guys help

02quattrokev 10-11-2011 06:54 PM

To be quite honest here, i have heard about this swiss cheese cut out in the intake box which i've been told produces the most hp gain and it's cheap. I've yet to believe this until i see actual numbers that prove that this mod works. But who wants a bunch of holes in their intake box under the hood, not me!