Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob 2.8 exhaust question

Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Default noob 2.8 exhaust question

Hello. I just put a Magnaflow muffler (14816) on my son's 1999 A4 Quattro 2.8. During the install process we had the middle resonator removed. Now it is louder than he would like - especially the drone in the 2-3K rpm range. I can understand that is sounds loud (since I'm old), but I am surprised he does not like it.

So, now I am in the market for a resonator to replace the one we just took off. I was going to go with Magnaflow, but I heard some negative things about their resonators. I was told to go with Dynomax.

What is the feeling on this forum? Should I go with Dynomax? Also, based on anyone's recommendations, do you happen to know the part numbers? All the searches I do on the manufacturers websites (like magnaflow) do not have Audi as a valid manufacturer if you select 1999 as the year - so I don't really know what to buy.

Sorry for all the noobie questions. I don't really know a lot about the A4, but I just want to be able to get the correct set up to make the sound a little more tolerable.

Thanks in advance,
-Bill

Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

uhhh well i did the same thing to my car, i have the same exact one and i got the same problem, and i didnt like it after a while either so i just put the old resonator back on... i havent really heard any problems form either company, and i do thing a magnaflow resonator would be the best since it matches with the exhaust system you put on, of coarse thats just my opinion