Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Intake, Headers and Exhaust
POLICE say, my true dual is too loud. Help! >

POLICE say, my true dual is too loud. Help!

Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POLICE say, my true dual is too loud. Help!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Default POLICE say, my true dual is too loud. Help!

So I got pulled over for the third time today for my exhaust being too loud. I guess the Chief of Police told all the officers in my town to have a look out for the blue audi...

Well my car came with the true dual and Id really love to keep it so I need some help with quieting it down enough to satisfy to cops. List some options if you could. What would be best mufflers/resonators? what brand? I still want to keep a good sound if possible.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

you could ask them to do a decibels (noise) test. find out what the limit is first. and i can't believe that they'd target your car over all the rice-burners with 4 inch exhausts cruising around everywhere, unless you're one of the lucky few that doesn't have those rolling around. but a cop can't give you a ticket just cause they think it's too loud, they have to have some kind of proof. and their ears are not calibrated sensors for that kind of thing

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

Like a cop telling you he saw you speeding, but cant tell you how fast.. Call the police dept and speak to the chief. Be an adult about it, but ask him to do a DB test so you can see where your at. Not to contest what theyre claiming, but because you need the info in order to make appropriate adjustments.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by evelluser View Post
but a cop can't give you a ticket just cause they think it's too loud, they have to have some kind of proof. and their ears are not calibrated sensors for that kind of thing
they can...they will....and do at will.... And the they will lie in court if they have to.

arguing or asking for a calibration is only going to you "marked" even more so then you are now..

my advice is to do what you planned to do and put res and mufflers back in...

Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
Like a cop telling you he saw you speeding, but cant tell you how fast.. Call the police dept and speak to the chief. Be an adult about it, but ask him to do a DB test so you can see where your at. Not to contest what theyre claiming, but because you need the info in order to make appropriate adjustments.
most state laws prohibit changing the exhaust at all but most don't enforce unless the car is really loud

Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bigred875 View Post
they can...they will....and do at will.... And the they will lie in court if they have to.

arguing or asking for a calibration is only going to you "marked" even more so then you are now..

my advice is to do what you planned to do and put res and mufflers back in...
If a cop ever lies in court, they should take his badge. Where I'm at, they'll show you what they use to catch you speeding or doing whatever you did wrong. Everything is recorded. So its hard for them to lie about anything, cause you can always say "look at the tape and show me when he performed the DB test" if he really didn't. There's no need for him to do anything to the exhaust if he's not truly in the wrong. Do like warranty said and see if they'll help out. Not all cops are ******** just waiting to give everyone tickets. They're civil servants. Most of the time they'll let you pass if you're nice, unless you've got history and/or an attitude.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

Most of the time they'll let you pass if you're nice, unless you've got history and/or an attitude.
Thats exactly it. Im a firm believer in "you dont know till you ask". If you can manage to be nice and polite about it, it shouldnt be a problem. Just dont come off as a punk kid and you should be fine.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

If a cop ever lies in court, they should take his badge. Where I'm at, they'll show you what they use to catch you speeding or doing whatever you did wrong. Everything is recorded. So its hard for them to lie about anything, cause you can always say "look at the tape and show me when he performed the DB test" if he really didn't. There's no need for him to do anything to the exhaust if he's not truly in the wrong. Do like warranty said and see if they'll help out. Not all cops are ******** just waiting to give everyone tickets. They're civil servants. Most of the time they'll let you pass if you're nice, unless you've got history and/or an attitude.
I know all cops aren't ********, that isn't what I was trying to say. In fact most aren't and most don't give a flying f about an exhaust.

However, all cops are human and the last thing anyone wants is a snot nosed brat telling them how to do their job. Think about yourself, your job and how you respond when people f with you while you are trying to work. That's a good way to turn a nonasshole into one. On the side of the road is not the place to debate a ticket. You are better off eating **** on the side of the road and then fight the ticket it court.

From what the OP is saying, he is being targeted. This is a big problem if it is on the town you live in and going to the chief is going to make it worse. They will make your life a living hell.

I am speaking from the experience of being targeted in my home town years ago when I was a snot nosed know-it-all brat and having close friends in LE.

There was a point when I couldn't drive through my town without getting pulled over. Tint, exhaust, music, minor speeding....you name it

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
Thats exactly it. Im a firm believer in "you dont know till you ask". If you can manage to be nice and polite about it, it shouldnt be a problem. Just dont come off as a punk kid and you should be fine.
True, yes sirs and no sirs go along way.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

well in the case you do need to change something a cherry bomb turbo put in somewhere would prob be what ur looking for. but i agree that you should ask em to check it, i have a hard time beleiving they hate ur exhaust that much. are you shure you dont have a hole in ur exhaust?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POLICE say, my true dual is too loud. Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.