Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Teach me some on exhaust systems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Teach me some on exhaust systems!

I tried to search but couldn't find much so i thought ill start a thread. I have 98 A6 2.8 (no hating pls :P) and the reason i got interested in exhaust system was coz my current one is all rusted and dying. I started looking around but dont really understand what all is the part of exhaust system?... Just the mufflers or cat converter? I mean i have no clue and i couldn't find any informative threads explaining.

All the search resulted in that ppl buy magnaflow mufflers and it makes the car sound awesome and improves fuel efficiency. Could anyone guide me to some some thread or post where i can understand a little more about exhaust system before i get ripped by a mechanic for $1k or more for being a ignorant tool.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

your "cat" or catalytic converter is something that legally has to stay in your car, or can be replaced with a "test pipe" which is illegal for street use but people do it which is why you hear of straight piping which is no muffler and no cat. the muffler is usually what makes the sound you get, basically how its built. different performance exhaust will b straighter and smoother, to let air flow more freely out and in. ps bigger isn't always better. too much air and you will lose torque too little and your car wont breathe. so that's why a full exhaust is casually called a cat back. because it is all the piping from your catalytic converter to your muffler. you prob will have to spend almost $1k for an exhaust i would like to go aftermarket on mine and i can only fine $800 at the cheapest. hope this helps with any questions.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by viperpit07
your "cat" or catalytic converter is something that legally has to stay in your car, or can be replaced with a "test pipe" which is illegal for street use but people do it which is why you hear of straight piping which is no muffler and no cat. the muffler is usually what makes the sound you get, basically how its built. different performance exhaust will b straighter and smoother, to let air flow more freely out and in. ps bigger isn't always better. too much air and you will lose torque too little and your car wont breathe. so that's why a full exhaust is casually called a cat back. because it is all the piping from your catalytic converter to your muffler. you prob will have to spend almost $1k for an exhaust i would like to go aftermarket on mine and i can only fine $800 at the cheapest. hope this helps with any questions.
How do i go about looking for exhausts. I did go on magnaflow and some other websties for information purposes but they sell so many things that i got confused. Too many tubings, pipes, mufflers, etc etc. I don't know what all constitute as a part of exhaust system. Are there any vehicle specific popular kits for exhaust systems.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

borla makes one, apr makes one. you can use ecstuning.com blackforestindustries.com and there are a few others too. it would be much easier and possibly cheaper to buy a whole exhaust then get exhaust peices, just buy a cat back exhaust thats pretty much the whole thing that you will need.