Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Cigarette Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Cigarette Smell

What are some things i can do to get the smell to diminish? I bought the car used and it belonged to a smoker. He didn't have if for that long 05 with 5800 k but it still smells. It has leather seats. I sprayed febreeze on the floors, floor mats , seats , headliner. What else can i do?

Old 09-13-2005, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Cigarette Smell

Well haveing done oder control and removal for a living.

First thouroughy wipe down the car with a good surfactant detergant for smoke. There are many types of things that can be used.

pro-chem and Bridgeport make good smoke removal chemicals. Smoke bonds to just about everything, a normal cleaner will not remove it. once that is dry..

and I stress it must be dry.

100% if you think it is dry give it two more days.

Then rent an ozone machine. If there are any smoke molecules left in the car the Ozone machine will cleave the molecule and rid you of the remaining smell.

Why don't you want to do the ozone first. well for it to take the length of time needed to clear the car it would probably damage several parts in the interior.

a 2-8 hour setting on low should be sufficiant to berid of the smoke smell.

also the reason for the car being dry in side is...

If you have water (h2O) and as Ozone you get what?

BLEACH.

yeah.. so the vehicle must be dry....

Old 09-14-2005, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

here are some of the chemicals i mentioned.

Proper dilution and rinsing would be needed.

http://www.prochem.com/DisasterRestor.shtm

test the product in an inconspicuous area.

Note all areas/fiber/and surfaces of the interior must be cleaned to achive best results.

How to purchase them... look here.

http://www.prochem.com/map.shtm

some dealers will not sell to you unless you set up a buisness account. if your renting a Ozone you'll have to anywho.

Un-smoke is another chemical line that works well.

If you have not restored a car before. or have any exp in restoration. I'd suggest getting in touch with the chemical supplier. You can generally get a very very good recomencation to a company who has.

They can probably complete the job in half the time, along with having a higher success rate.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know where I can rent an Ozone machine? I'm in the Northern New Jersey area...

Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

shieeet man that sucks. the previous owner of my car smoked in it, i swore when i got it i wouldn't but if im on the highway on the way to work i'll open the window all the way and suck one back. Funny thing is i swear it still smells of rich mahogeny & leather-bound books [8D] J/K

where the hell's ronjeremy when you need him hey' haha, thats one of the best user id's ive seen on forums

Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM

Left my car in the sun with an the old school freshener I believe it was a grapefruit flavor, didn't use the gauge just took it out of the bag. Worked fine for me. I don't smell the odor anymore. Another one will probably leave a nicer smell in my car.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 PM

I heard if you leave a cat in there and it does its business the sight smell will go then all you have to do is get rid of a different smell, get the interior cleaned by a valet and stop smoking in your car j/k