Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Double Din Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Default Double Din Aftermarket Stereo?

I just bought a 2001 A6 2.7T, and right after I replace the timing belt, I'd like to replace the stock Bose stereo. The only mounting kits I can find for the A6 are for a single din with the cubby hole underneath it like this one. I'd really like a double din like the one in this thread. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by katiebear00; 03-18-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I spoke to crutchfield, and they said the A6 opening is only slightly larger than a double-din, so it's difficult to fabricate a mounting bracket. The only stock bracked is the single din with cubby hole. I hate to do it, but I'm off to visit the custom car audio shop.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Thumbs up Double Din

Actually I had the same idea at first. I found a double din stereo I liked a lot, and bought a mounting kit for my 2001 A6. It was the same style that your talking about, a single hole with a cubby pocket underneath it. All you have to do is slice out the center piece that forms the two pockets. Then you can have a double din stereo. Ill post some pics of my stereo, although I ended up going with an Alpine deck. Great job as a salesman to convince me to change my pick =)

Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM

That's great to know - can't wait to see the pics. Did you need anything other than the wiring harness to install it?

I'm torn between this double-din receiver and this single-din receiver. I like the JVC receivers because you can customize the color of the ***** and display to match the Audi red dash perfectly.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Look into an Eclipse double DIN. Their red is a perfect match with the red Audi dash lights. They tend to stick out a little (they're kind of deep), but they look really good.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Default Alpine Red

So my deck definitely looks sick! I think it matches the Audi red perfectly as well. I will see what I can do to get some pics posted up. I need to figure out how to turn the flash off on my camera. Look forward to it =)

Old 02-27-2010, 05:27 PM

In the end, I went with this one. Looks pretty sweet and the display color is infinitely adjustable. I ordered the PAC steering wheel control interface also. I'll post some pics when I install it next weekend.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 AM
1st Gear

hear you go katie

we have the same double din but yours is newer

Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Default Finished! (almost)

I'm just about finished with the installation, and it turned out great! The only thing left to install is the steering wheel control interface, which I sent back for a replacement because it wasn't working quite right. Here is my material list:

Pioneer AVH=P3200BT
Scosche AU2380B Dash Kit (it's actually for a 2002, but also fits a 2001)
Scosche VWA2B Amplified Antenna Adapter (The non-amplified version didn't work)
Metra 70-1787 Wiring Harness (Scosche didn't make a harness for 2001 A6)
PAC SWS-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface
Radio Shack 12V Auto Relay

Here are a few pics:

Finished install. I uploaded a background Audi graphic to give it more of a stock look.

Plays DVDs, but only if the parking brake is on. To defeat this, I installed a 12V relay so I can play videos anytime. Helps with restless kids in the back seat.

Here is how I wired the relay:

I purchased an 8Gig SD card, which pretty much stores my entire music collection. Scrolling through songs is easy with the touch screen. Works by tap, swipe, and drag. Very slick.

The scosche dash kit not quite yet installed (awaiting steering wheel interface). Because of the way the tabs hold it in, once it's installed, I think I'd have to crack the trim plate to get it out. I'm not fond of the texture of the trim plate. It doesn't exactly match the rest of the dash, but not quite as bad as this photo makes it seem. Anyone know how the Metra kit looks?

Bluetooth turned out to be one of the best features of this unit. I installed the microphone in the stock location next to the dome light. You can also see the factory mic in the middle of the picture:

Routing the microphone cable through the headliner:

Around the side airbag, down the A-pillar, and out next to the fuse panel.

Out comes the stock stereo. Anyone want to buy it?

Back of the factory stereo. Notice the 2 antennas. I couldn't figure out how to make use of both antenna feeds with the new stereo, so I just used one. Reception is not quite as good as it was, but it's satisfactory. I don't listen to much radio anyway since Howard went to Sirius.

Here is a high resolution Audi background that I created in Microsoft Visio. Feel free to download it to your new stereo!

I've got more photos of the gory installation details if anyone's interested. I found this guide particularly helpful, just for wiring diagrams and general procedures. It helped immensely in my failed attempt to use the factory mic by splicing mic wires to CD changer wires in the trunk.

Last edited by katiebear00; 03-18-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Senior Administrator

Nice 1, katiebear!

Good piccy follow-along, too!

If you wanted to add more details & pics, write it as a step-by-step, I'll move it to teh DIY section, for you.

Quick Reply: Double Din Aftermarket Stereo?