Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

new car speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
1st Gear
Default new car speakers

Hey I've just started getting into upgrading my stereo (99.5 audi a4 1.8TQM) I've purchased a new head unit and looking at speakersto replace the ones in the front doors and planning on replacing the two in the rear deck and adding one between the two possibly.

I'm not very knowledgable with what needs what so i have a few questions...I'm just looking for a good clean crisp sounding stereo nothing over the top or super loud.

for the 2 front 4" speakers and the 2 back 5-1/4" speakers would you suggest getting 2-way speakers or 3-way? What is the difference?

The components in the front doors also had the clear/red little amp.ShouldIreplace it with somethingbetter or would it be sufficient?

My head unit is a JVC with200W (50x4) MOS-FET amp. Wouldthis be goodenough for the 4 speakers and possibly another 6" in the back? (5 speakers in total) or would you suggest getting an amp?If so how many amps?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Guru
Default RE: new car speakers

ok, here is what i am going to recommend

you got an aftermarket head unit that sounds like it needs to be amped...... so you are going to have to run wires to an amp and then to the speakers

2 v 3, 2 way is usually a cone and a tweeter..... 3 is cone mid and high so cone and a mid bass tweeter and a high volum, vocals tweeter

i would then suggest getting a dedicated amp, maybe a mono block for the sub, and a 10 is probably the smallest you will find unless you get a bazzoka

all in all total value after all said and done will be around a grand, that is if you know how to run the wires, if not and want a professional look, look at another grand install

Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

so if i wanted to get just 1 amp to power all my speakers would i have to get a mutli-channel amp? mono or 2 channel etc.? and how many watts would you recomment?

Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Guru

you would need a 5 channel, with one of them being dedicated to the sub

i have 900 was between 2 amps i the wifes car. and alot would say that is underpowered..... depends on the quality you are looking for and how big you go with the sub

your best bet is go to a car stereo store, tell them what you wanna do and have them recommend some stuff..... even www.crutchfield.com , can find everything you are looking for there

but without knowing your budget can't really help, you could also probably upgrade both sizes of speaker if you can fabricate, just make sure on depth for front........ i personally would go 4 channel for speakers and dedicated amp for sub

Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

actually 2 way isnt what youre thinking, kraut. what youre thinking is coaxial versus components. 2 way and 3 way deals with crossovers. the basic rule for getting the best sound is the less the better. you optimmany want components, if your budget allows for them. component speakers are where the woofer(yes its called woofer, but not subwoofer) and the tweeter are separate. in the box you get 4 speakers and 2 crossovers. i know the technical aspect of it and the installation, i can give some great tips on bringing the best out of your speakers. sadly i dont know much about lower end speakers. i compete, so i havent bought or heard cheap aftermarket speakers in years. i really hope this doesnt make me sound like a snob or a pretentious a$$hole, but i really dont look at anything thats cheap. if i hear several, i'd give my opinion on sound. LEO, if you want post your choices and i can tell you what i'd prefer from reading the specs. there are obviously some manufacturers that are better than others, so look at what you are willing to pay for. i find that a speaker between 6-8 inches in diameter will give really nice mids, which most cars struggle to replicate accurately. obviously 6-8 is somewhat big, esp the 8 for doors. theres 0 need to go with an 8 for a mid range in an everage car. i use 6 1/2's, theyre very nice. to me it doesnt matter that its not OEM spec in diameter or mounting depth. i basically work around that and make it fit. the bigger the speaker u can fit in the better. i wont go into the technical and installation aspect here, because i'll end up writing out pages and nobody is going to read it. i can do a write up if enough people ask about it. ill cover some basic and some more advanced things on how to put together and install a nice system and one thats highly advaned if youre thinking of competing. let me know if you guys have other specific questions or if you want me to do a write up for you. its not a problem for me, im killing time at work anyways. call it, if 5 people or more ask me i'll write it and post it. hope this helps, if no, ask more questions. i know how it can be when youre trying to get some sound in the car but you know almsot nothing about