Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Stain City

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Stain City

Hi guys, this is my first post here, so please excuse my newbiness .
My problem is with my cloth interior. About every inch of it is stained, or extremely dirty in some way. The other day I took my floor mats out and power washed them because they were so dirty. When I put them back in, they were so much brighter than the surrounding interior they didnt look like they were original hehe. So my question is, are there any specific ways or tricks to clean up the carpet and the seats in my car?
Thanks a lot

Old 07-13-2006, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Stain City

Pictures would help, Give me an idea of what the stains are.

I should be able to help you with a solid process. Keep in mind that most OTC carpet and upholstery cleaners are not great product in and of themselves. What your prep work will do is allow you to have the best chance of success with that kind of product.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Hi, sorry about the delayed reply, but I can't find my camera ><. I am on the lookout for one. But really, most of the stains are from spilt (is that even a word??) drinks and are just plain old dirty. I mean it is an 11 year old car. So really, any products that you could mention that remove that stuff would be greatly appreciated. But I am able to accept the fact that they are uncleanable, and will just have to deal with them.

Thanks a lot for your help

Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

First i would buy folex at home depot, and or Bi-o-Kleen's Bac-out
http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/general.htm

Keep in mind this will remove gummy dirt and soils, to be rid of stains you might need special chemicals. Also this is not likely to be a one time deal. If it is as dirty as you say, you may have to clean 3-4 times to get a huge benefit from it.
To do this you should follow a very tight regimn of cleaning proceedures.

1) dry vac

2) dry vac again.

90-95% of the soils in the fiber are dry particulate dirt, best removed by dry vacuuming. if you add moisture to a poorly vacuumed fiber/carpet you have to work 10 times harder than needed with 10 times the amount of chemical and water than is needed. With 3-4 times the drying time. So dry vac very thoroughly. Use multiple attachments.

3)Pre condition stains and spots.

Why do this now? Because stain removers work best when applied to virgin stains, In many cases if not all that i can think of right now detergents will inhibit the stain removers if applied before the stain remover. So spot treat trouble areas first, Buy specific products for those areas. lightly rub them in and let them sit while you prepare you chemicals for the main area.

4) Pre treat the fiber/carpet with cleaner. folex or bac-out I prefer back out for spilled soda,milk,teas ect ect

use a proper cleaning product. Read the dilution ratio's More product is not better or, lower dilution. These products work in conjunction with water, improperly mixing them will provide very poor results. Normal carpet cleaning agents are 32 parts water to 1 part solution. Once applied Brush in with your brush or PC if you feel the need. Despite what you think agitation will not improve your dirt removal. In many cases you'll keep the detergent from working by agitating too much. In some cases you will distort the fiber. (velvet it) The purpose of agitation is not to break dirt free, but to get your cleaning product to as much surface of the fiber as possible. So light agitation will suffice.

5) Extraction,
You can use a bonnet method i mentioned above, think Chem-dry the nationally owned chain.
You can extract with shop vac and 1/2 gallon pump sprayer of clean water or water 1ith 1/2 oz of vinager mixed itn
You can extract with LGCM or similar tool.
You can extract by buffing with a towel.
You can use a HW extractor.

The key is to get the fiber clean, then get it dry as possible, then get it set up for the shortest drying time as possible.

6) Drying.
There is little air movement in a car, So turn the fans on crack the windows, set up small portable blowers. The faster you get this dry the less soil wicking you will have. Adding significant air movement and ventalation will cut drying time in half if not by 3/4. Adding the bonnet buffing i mentioned befor can make even a HW extracted carpet dry with in 45-1 hour of finishing.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

Great, thanks a lot for the help. I'll keep you posted to see the effect!