Member Builds/Projects Members projects showcased here. Car-related, Audi-preferred, but feel free to post up ANY car build you've done or are involved with.

Audi B5 420-R: The Build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Update 18th May 2015:

Today I sent the D3 A8 4.2 V8 40V (BFM) ECU off to get the immobiliser defeated, as I don't want to run the A8's instrument cluster; nice enough as it undoubtedly looks, I want to keep the B5 interior stock.

This is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the motor yet. I've sold tons off the D3 A8, but I've been careful to make sure nothing to do with the engine running has been removed. It makes sense to carry out the immobiliser defeat first.

To test this, I've got a non-transpondered key cut. Once my ECU is back, I will attempt starting the engine with the foreign key. If the procedure is successful, it should run just fine. Then I will proceed in pulling the motor out, and prep it for installation into my Pelican Blue B5.

I can't wait to turn the key for the first time.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Update 27th May 2015:

I got my A8 D3 4.2 V8 ECU back today. I promptly plugged it into my A8, and tried starting her with the blank folding key I got cut (without a transponder chip).

The engine roared into life. I'm pretty stoked. Now I just need to pull the engine and trans from the A8, and pretty much remove all the parts that will come in useful - harnesses, control modules, dash, fuel pump, all relay boards, panels, alcantara roof lining, steering wheel etc.

I need to get it stripped, so I can get the wreckers to pick up the shell, then I can clear garage space to commence work.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

This will be with me sometime next week. Then off it goes for some modifications - a replacement DIS, I don't want to wait for the pixels to start fading. And some changes to the tacho redline, as well as the actual RS6 logo.

Something more in keeping with a B5.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Update 01st June 2015:

My C5 RS6 instrument cluster turned up today. I ordered it with the 3 connectors, just in case they were different to mine, but they are the same. Thank the good Lord my B5 is pretty much the last facelift, meaning digital clock.

I quickly swapped it with my original, not to start the engine - it won't fire anyway, as immobiliser will be active. I was curious to see how the cluster would react to the B5's inputs.

First impressions: Everything works as it should, as far as warning lights go. The illumination is not as bright as my original, as the C5 cluster needs an external rheostat to control the intensity. Not a big deal, I'll sort that out.

TPMS: This RS6 had the optional TPMS, with no input to the cluster, the warning on the DIS is constant. Again, no big deal. Some grounding, or install TPMS, with the input going to the relevant plug/pin. I'll unpin the feed from the spare connectors that were supplied with the unit.

Fuel gauge / range on DIS: As I was already aware, the C5 has a larger gas tank compared to the B5. My car actually has the tank 3 quarters full, but it reads just above the reserve with the RS6 cluster. Of course, this affects the range.

My options are:

Install a VR external to the B5's level sender, and fine tune the resistance. The level sender is a simple variable resistor, with a carbon track and slider.

Install a C5 level sender, and adjust the float arm to suit the B5's tank.

Either option will work.

Some pictures. Note the B5's illumination is currently much brighter than that of the C5.

C5 RS6:

B5 A4 2.8 Quattro facelift:

C5 RS6 on the bench:

The RS6's DIS is perfect, but I would rather get it replaced as a preventative measure. With our cars, it's not so much "if" it fails, more like "when" it fails. I will also have white pointers, B5 S4-style fitted, and get a custom logo to replace RS6. This means a new dial, and the logo will relate more to my B5 and it's final state.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

So this week, I've gotten on top of some work, meaning this weekend I'll have some free time on my hands.

The plan is to get my garage cleared, and begin pulling the motor and trans from my old D3 A8. Hopefully, the weather will stay dry enough for me to make some headway.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I received my double DIN Symphony II yesterday. All that is required is a double DIN cage / console, and matching climate control panel.

At this point, I must say the new head unit is NOT being mounted in the regular location (centre console). My double DIN centre console is being purchased to install an iPad. With the advent of advanced Apple / Android tablets, and great apps, there is very little a standard head unit can do, that can't be achieved with a top-end tablet.

Navigation.
DAD Radio.
Media Player.
OBD II (in conjunction with ELM327 Bluetooth or WiFi).
Bluetooth Connectivity.
DVB Reception.
Hotspot.
Internet Access.
Etc, etc.

I am installing an iPad I to the centre console. My recently acquired Symphony II will be installed in a custom aft centre console, facing upwards. This will be connected to the OEM plugs, which will be extended from the forward console. This arrangement will enable the output of the iPad to be fed into the Symphony, so it will be amplified, before output to an external amplifier, and finally the speakers. I am planning to use the speakers and factory rear sub from my old D3 A8.

I will need to acquire an extra rear console to begin modifying to accept the Symphony. I'm also looking into a motorised perspex lid, to protect the unit from dust. Or build a motorised cradle, that will enable the Symphony unit swivel 90 degrees when not in use. My only concern here is the cabling getting damaged, though it's unlikely, especially if telephone-style (spring-like) cabling is utilised.

I will post pictures as this aspect of my project gathers pace.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Update 13th June 2015:

I stripped down my Audi RS6 C5 instrument cluster, to replace the red pointer needles with white ones. I purchased a 2001 Audi S4 B5 cluster for this. I haven't wrecked it, I simply swapped the needles over. I think the white needles look pretty good in the RS6 cluster.

Before:

During:

After:

Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Audi Symphony I.

Options are to install it in a custom arm rest, above the parking brake. Or lose the arm rest, and build it into a reworked centre console. However due to the depth, something will have to be done about the parking brake lever.

EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) solution. Just looking into the logistics of it all.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Update: 16th June 2015:

I got some feedback today on my RS6 cluster.

The RS6 logo can be removed, replaced with something else, and the tacho redline extended to 7000rpm. Of course, this means a replacement tacho dial.

There has been a fairly lengthy delay, due to the DIS LCD display. I don't really care much for the red LCD. The cluster backlighting is white, I have looked into the colour LCD as used in the B6/7, D2/3 and lots of other recent VAG models, but it isn't financially viable.

On the other hand, white LCD's are nice. And I've found a firm willing to install one of these into a C5 RS6 board - at a price!

This is the look I would like:

Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

I also made time to remove the 18" wheels the previous owner had fitted to my Audi A4 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro.

Wheels are a very personal thing, and can either make or break a car. In this case, I feel they detracted from the looks of the B5. A shame really, as I have had brand new tyres fitted to the wheels 225/40x18 which have only covered 60 miles!

I opted to fit the original 7"x16" wheels that should have been on the car from the factory. These were off my old A4 2.6 V6 Quattro Sport, that I scrapped. The wheels are only temporary, as both cars will be wearing very different boots once they have come out of the paint shop. For reference, the Santorin Blue Audi A4 is pictured further up on this page.

These are the wheels off the car, which will now be sold:

Quick Reply: Audi B5 420-R: The Build.