Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

any Misouri guys around?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

lol! yeah, i've got notebooks full of plans.... and a closet/room full of parts.... lol!

but yeah, e85 is a GREAT idea! lol! my friend jac, runs e85 on a tune and everything, and makes just, ridiculous gobs of power out of his a6. and then alex, a mutual friend of us both, we converted his civic by putting bigger injectors, adjustable fpr, and a walbro 255. that literally all we did and now he's e85. lol! there's many good things about it. car runs colder, you can run higher boost, the gas is cheaper by a LOT! (at least to me since i run premium 93 octane) however, a common misconception, is that your gas mileage will go up. it really won't unfortunately. while e85 burns at about the same effect as 110 race gas... it also requires approximately 1.7 times as much to do so (hints why fpr, fuel pump and injectors are required for the civic) it tends to equal itself out at the pump, but with the increase in power i see it as being well worth it.

if i'm wrong about anything please correct me, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject, and i will THINK about doing it in the future... but until then, i'll stick with my car's favorite drink....
Name:  ac105344.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  121.1 KB

Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

Your right, it burns like 30%, from what i hear at normal driving you'll see about 3mpg drop. And I did the math, for me here, then you'll save $8 using E85 compared to gasoline going 322 miles on a tank which is what my car does.

But yea becareful with that meth, A word of advice if I may, replace the boost switch provided with a hobbs switch, mount it so the pick up tube will always be able to pick up the fuel (fluid transfer), and use 90/10 . I went through 2 of those boost switches they provide, so you don't want it cutting out on you at full throttle. And I blew the motor in the cobalt cause the pick up tube in the tank was at the front and the fluid transfered to the back. But I ran 90/10 and it worked excellent for me!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

yeah dude, i haven't really decided what i want to do yet... your idea sounds good, risky but good. i feel like i want to be able to manually control it... ya know? i like to be in control. lol!

right now though it's just parts piling up until i can get everything i need, then i'm calling off a week from work to get everything put on and my car tuned for stage 2 of what will probably be 5 steps total on my quest for 500hp then just fine tuning and stuff for the extra little bit..... all my plans will come a little later... i just need to sit down and think about it, school's been busy...

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

I gotcha, I would just rather do staight E85 and not have to worry about meth ya know. Here's a good example of what the E85 did on a cobalt with relatively few mods.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno-...5-dyno-246633/

And that sounds like a plan! Are there only canned tunes for the audi's or can you get tuning software and tune it yourself?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

well, i've never actually heard about anyone tuning their Audis themselves as far as F-cons/stand-alones go.
the operating system they use on Audi VW and Porsche is called VAG-Com. You basically buy the encrypted wire for your computer<-->OBD port, and download the software. it costs a bit of money but it's worth it in my opinion. But, back to the matter at hand, you can use VAG com to do some little upgrades and odd little hacks, like being able to turn your fog lights on without your headlights on, and other little things. lol! but there's kinda cool little things you can do.
as far as custom tunes though, vast-performance.com. They're not only really awesome people, very friendly, but they stand by their products and offer custom tuning. basically, they have the canned tunes that any other place can offer (like goapr.com, who rock as well! and "GIAC" idk about them i haven't heard of anything about them from any friends) but then if you have any other mods that you add to your car, like a big exhaust, FMIC, or intake or injectors or anything at all like that, (as well as e85) you can send it in and they'll re-tune for free! the initial ECU upgrade is $600 dollars which is pretty steep, but then you get free re-tuning if you need it or run into any problems. they're awesome! that's my suggestion.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Guru

034motorsports offers standalone.... and vast doesn't tweak others tunes.... they do their own tuning.....

there is no buy a tune, use your own vag cable that i am aware of.......

and yes there are a ton of off the shelf tunes......

Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

oh dude! i totally forgot they offered that! yes, indeed, 034 IS the way to go for the stand alones. i totally forgot, price is steep, but then again, standalones always are. lol! yeah man, and idk if they do for the a3, but for my a4 i'm getting all race density mounts for my car from them soon.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Hey, First post here. Just got an 2008 A4. My First Audi. I live down in Springfield and bought it up in St. Louis, great drive back.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Yo I'm in st charles, we should get a club goin

Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

New 07 A4 2.0T Quattro Cabriolet owner. 8200 miles, my mother was the former owner. Drove it up from St. Louis (Kirkwood) from Sarasota this last weekend.

Quick Reply: any Misouri guys around?