New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A$ B5...Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A$ B5...Help

I have an audi A4 B5 1996, and its main beam dosent work.... the bulbs are fine as the full beam still works, and the sidelights also work..... i am very confused, i have put a voltage tester on the plug to bulb and it is fine... just the bulbs wont light up when the stearing wheels stem is on..... please help#

Michaelparkyn1990@hotmail.co.uk

Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums

your problem is the multi-function switch. common on the B5. do a search or try posting in the A4 B5 section and plenty of folks should chime in telling you it is the multi-fucntion switch, encourage you to try a search next time, general good natured making fun of you, and eventually giving you the help you need assuming they don't get too far off topic.

good luck

Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

no one seems to be much help at the moment, you are only person who has helped. Its such a strange one to go wrong, what is the multifunction switch? i have been told it could be the actual light/indicator stalk itself?

please help

mike

Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

yes, the light indicator stalk thing itself is the multifunction, or sometimes referred to as the combination switch. it is a common fail point on the B5 A4. basically there is too much electricity travelling through the switch, it overheats and melts the plastic around the contacts. when you try to turn the lights on the switch can't make contact because of the melted plastic in the way.

I'm not sure the exact procedure for replacement but i think you have to remove the steering wheel to get the switch off the column.

again, there is not a lot of traffic here in the new member welcome area. re-post your question in the A4 B5 section. it may take some time but you will probably get some help...eventually

good luck

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks for your help mate.