New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 by qweas

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 by qweas

So here i am with my 1998 A6,quattro, 2.4 with 5-speed manual gearbox.
I bought that car almost 5 years ago from a dealer. Why that car? Well, since i live in Europe, we have ruff winter (with deep snow, cold weather), long and rainy autumn and lots of mud, i decided to own a four wheel drive car. So i sold my Volvo 850 and baught that one with 11 000 USD.
And honestly that is my best decisions i have ever made.
First 2 years it ran like a dream. Changed oil, filters and added gas ( lots of gas).
And then it started. Got a stone in to the front windshield on the highway, not a pleasant feeling, and lost my ABS at the same day. U all think, bad luck! I think bad karma. Donīt know what i did in my past life, but that is just the beginning.
A few months later, hooked a VAG-COM to the car and descovered a bad lambda sensor and O2 sensor, so i changed both of them. Then came the time to change all the belts and other stuff that came with that.
Some time passed by and front end started to make some noise, so changed all the parts from there. Itīs not cheap to have an Audi with so many flaws.
Then a few years ago, on winter time, i noticed that car was idling rough. Morning first start, revs wouldn't go above 1000 (normally thay went 1200), acceleration was weak, car performance just wasnīt what it was earlier. Behind the traffic lights the revs started to jump up and down untill it would stall on me. To keep the car running i hade to play with a accelerator. So i drove like that for a while until i got fed up with that. Did some digging, and found myself under the car's hood,, disconnecting the trottle body. Cleaned the TB, but it back, did TB alignment and hoped that all is fine. But no. There was still ruf idling. Next cleaned MAF sensor, no change, measured with vag com and found that it was bad. Changed that one hoping that my problems are over. BUT NOOOOOO. Still poor ideling and another wierd thing. Now behind traffic lights revs got up to 3500. Played with accelerator pedal, no change. TB was wide open. Got home, hooked vag com to the car - no fault codes. Honestly i was amazed. Why all that is happening to me and me alone. Did some digging in the forums, found that cleaning the TB erased all the trubles, but nooo, not mine. Next step, went and baught a brand new TB. Installed that, did TB alignment and found out that nothing has been changed. Still poor ideling, revs up to 3500, and now a sticky accelerator pedal. Well HELLO, they just keep coming more and more. All that stuff occurs when itīs over -10 C. Under that the car is drivable. Well almost!!!! To this day i have not found a solution to my problems.
As the weather got warmer, my troubles got behind. This summer i found out that oil was leaking (i could smell burning oil) as well a coolant was escapeing somewere. Found leaking valve cover gasket, and that my front radiator had thin cracks. Changed them as well. Recently baught a new coolant sensor and replaced an old one.
Last couple of weeks nothing havenīt broke or leaked, so yeeah iīm happy.
But there is a brand NEW BUG with my instrument cluster. I made a post for that in the morning, so if u are interested go check out.
Sorry if spelling is off, iīm from europe.

Winter in Estonia.....

Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 AM
1st Gear

Nice wagon. Looks very cold. I'm a Michigan transplant to Cali.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

Well, last winter it hit -33C (-27.4F) for almost two months. Normali it stays around -15C to -25C (5F to -13F).

Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Wilkommen to the forums

I seem to remember another member from the Baltic states some time ago. Anyway, sounds like a lot of the problems you have been having with your car are typical, especially for a car of that particular vintage. It might be that it is time to update to a newer Audi, as it may get expensive trying to keep fixing the one you have now.

good luck