New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi - first (82 5000 turbo) and most recent (02 A8L) love

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Default Audi - first (82 5000 turbo) and most recent (02 A8L) love

Greetings all:

I am new to this forum. We all remember (some of us more fondly than others, I suspect) our first car. In many ways, it is like our first love. For me, the first time was powerful - turbocharged even! My very first car was a 1982 Audi 5000 Turbo, black with tan leather interior. Power everything, sunroof, the works (but not a quattro). It was way cool. Fast forward 17 years (and 20 car model years) . . . and I am attempting to reclaim my former glory days.

In November, I bought a 2002 A8L with about 47K miles on her. It is awesome! I say that even though RIGHT NOW it is in the shop. Fortunately, it is a certified pre-owned model and the repair is covered under my warranty. What's even better is that my dealership has a loaner car program, so right now I am driving a 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro. I will post my opinions on both cars later. I just wanted to say "hi" for now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14175/CBBA237C3478431AB430E90D7096775E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Audi - first (82 5000 turbo) and most recent (02 A8L) love

Welcome to the forums! What was the issue with your A8 that got it in the shop? And enjoy the new A4.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Site Moderator

Nice ride!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 AM

Thanks.

My thermostat stuck closed and the engine began running hot. I diagnosed the problem before the mechanic did thanks in large part to this forum and the wonders of the internet.

While I am here...

my thoughts on the '06 A4 2.0T Quattro.

I am surprised that the interior is so roomy. I expected to be cramped and uncomfortable. I did not even consider the A4 when I bought my A8; I looked only at the A6 and A8 because I am 6'4". The front seats can adjust so far back that I actually have leg room. Of course, that seating position for me renders the car a coupe and the back seat a novelty. Not even children could be comfortable back there. That, however, is not the point. Kudos to Audi for making the seat go back far enough! One small criticism is that the interior looks a little cheap - even compared to the 2-3 year old A6s and A8s I was looking at. I don't expect it to be as refined as the pricier models, I just expected it to be on par with Acuras costing as much as the A4.

The car handles like a slot car. It is amazing. It feels like . . . well . . . imagine a giant were able to grab the pavement below you and turn you and the road upside down. The car sticks so well, I think it would defy the laws of gravity. If I roll down the windows I half expect to hear the telltale "Velcro" sound coming from the tires as I drive. It is easily the equal of my friend's M3 coupe. That is a helluva compliment.

As for the engine, I am a little disappointed. I am trying not to grade too harshly. Perhaps I am already spoiled by the A8's 4.2. The turbo lag is astounding. Not even the 82 5000 Turbo I had had this kind of delay. Either the drivetrain is made out of rubber bands or the engine really is asleep from 0-2500 rpm. After that - hold on. It kicks in and is very satisfying. This drivetrain deserves more torque though. This is too heavy a car with too much grip. The S4 - and ESPECIALLY the RS4 - must be perfect. My only complaint with the vehicle is really low end power. The engine is also lacking in the growl department. It could use a throatier exhaust - something better than the buzzing you hear at the low end of the tachometer. I would even appreciate a louder turbo. The 5000 Turbo was so loud it sounded like the cops were right behind you, sirens wailing when you floored it. Awesome!

This one is an automatic transmission too. This car would probably benefit from the control a manual gives.

As for my A8 - I have yet to find a flaw (well, maybe just one cooling system flaw - but even that cloud has a silver lining - more specifically the silver A4 I have been driving!). I take it back. I just thought of it. I wish there were an "OFF" button for the HVAC system. I want to be able to shut the whole thing off rapidly. I notice the A4 has such a button...

The car is amazing. Ok - it cannot hold a candle to the A4's "cornering-on-rails" ability. And tossability? Nonexistent. But it sticks - better than anything even approaching its weight and girth. The interior space is vast. The trunk? At least a 3-body capacity. The engine is so sweet. It makes all the appropriate V8 noises. It pulls like a train. It has power EVERYWHERE. You never need to look for it . . . unless you leave the shifter in "D" rather than in "S." This is one car that is like Jekyll and Hyde depending on the shift mode. It is sedate to the point of narcolepsy in "D." The sport mode gets it right almost every time. Unlike the A4, I have found no need for the manual version of the tranny. The ride is so smooth. Only a friend's BMW 740iL is even close. My Mom's Mercedes E class wasn't even this good. And this thing has ALL WHEEL DRIVE. We had our one day of ice and I didn't even notice. German luxo-tourers everywhere were spinning like tops. I just mashed the go-pedal and waved goodbye.